An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

It is really simple unisol.

Sheffield is the 4th largest city by population.

Sheffield is not the 9th largest city. Sheffield is the 9th largest urban area.

When you have first hand experience of other cities the "4th largest" stat is a real eye opener. Really? How can that be? It doesn't seem like it. After reseaching the stat, I get it now. The statisticians have more than one measure for what I experienced.

Is there a problem with the "9th largest" urban area stat? Does it seem wrong to you? I'd make it go away for you if I could, but it seems to be a fact.

Does it really matter ? :)

To me, the exact reason I moved to Sheffield is that it has the facilities of a big city but still feels like a town. Sheffield never feels like it will overwhelm me, unlike London, Leeds, Manchester etc.

Just my two pence !

Make it 4p, cos that's pretty much why I moved here too :thumbsup:

Does it really matter ? :)

No, er yes, er I love Sheffield.

You can't beat a good argument can you?

Even better is a "heated agreement". The facts are not in dispute, we agree what they are. That's settled then. Nothing more to be said!

No, er yes, er I love Sheffield.

You can't beat a good argument can you?

Even better is a "heated agreement". The facts are not in dispute, we agree what they are. That's settled then. Nothing more to be said!

I knew you'd come round to our way of thinking eventually.

er yes, clearly. Sheffield is the 4th largest city by population. I acknowledged this in the OP.

Does that mean you accept, by definition, that the size or population of the wider urban area is not a measurement of the size or population of the city?

I knew you'd come round to our way of thinking eventually.

I'll never mention the other stat in my life again. :bigsmile:

Do you know thinking about it again, that bike ride out to High Bradfield actually took hours. I thought the city would never end. Sheffield is really huge. I bet it's got a huge population too. 4th largest you say? I'll be sure to mention that on my travels.

I'd like to thank the Forumers for my enlightenment and just for the record there was no gun against my head.

Archived