An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

gerr off ar forum you shandy drinkin southener!:hihi::hihi:

(i assume your frome the big smoke as i don't think i know many "norterners" that actually like the south east)

whats the matter with shandy drinker, im an expat from the south too!

Does it matter ? People say that Sheffield is bigger than Manchester and strictly speaking by population it is. The City Of Manchester is quite a narrow band with a population of 400,000 but when you include Salford, Tameside, Trafford and considering that its one big urban sprawl along with Stockport, Oldham, Bolton, Bury, Rochdale etc it is huge.

Leeds, Dewsbury, Wakefield Bradford is also one big urban sprawl.

By contrast Shefield is just joined to Rotherham and seperated from satelite towns by countryside

Leeds, Dewsbury, Wakefield Bradford is also one big urban sprawl.

By contrast Sheffield is just joined to Rotherham and seperated from satelite towns by countryside

And isn't that just marvellous and what makes this city such a unique and fabulous place to live?:love:

What exactly do you mean by culture. Sheffield has more theatres than any other city outside London. The City Hall is on a par with the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. Plus the Arena venue that Leeds is now trying to copy. Okay no opera house and the art galleries are a bit small but there's always seemed to be plenty of artists, writers, and musicians around.

What exactly do you mean by culture. Sheffield has more theatres than any other city outside London. The City Hall is on a par with the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. Plus the Arena venue that Leeds is now trying to copy. Okay no opera house and the art galleries are a bit small but there's always seemed to be plenty of artists, writers, and musicians around.

My point was these are not particularly traditional to the 'old' Sheffield which was predominantly a working-class city dominated by heavy industry.

Sheffield theatres are certainly well established now - but for years the Lyceum was shut, so that re-opening was an important part of the city's regeneration and wish to improve it's cultural offerings.

However - we have very few international cultural events in Sheffield that would interest people from far and wide (Manchester just had an it's yearly International Festival for example. Edinburgh has it's fringe). World snooker for 2 weeks a year doesn't count as culture to me, welcome as it is.

And as you accepted, very little opera, not a great deal of classical music, poor art galleries. So it has a long way to go yet.

???

its hardly leeds is it?

I was in Leeds the other week and stood in a Victorian (style) covered street looking at some of the shops. I started thinking, what does Sheffield have similar? Then it struck me, Castle Markets.

Leeds may be a bit of a faceless city, but at least it has a city centre unlike Sheffield.

Archived