Problem with AEG freezer

Does anyone know anything abut freezers? I have an AEG ARCTIS 75238-GA freezer and it's set to -19 but the dispay says it's at -11. I can switch superfreeze on and mess with the temp and do all sorts but it does not want to get any colder. It was at -13 yesterday and has been for a few weeks so I switched it off for a few mins and when it came back on the display was at -5. After while the compressor kicked in and when I checked this morning it's on -11 so it is freezing. Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

:)

• 2 years later...

If the refrigerant fluid is getting sluggish in the pipes on the back, the freezer might benefit from being turned upside down for 24 hours. This can dislodge blockages and get the circuit flowing again.

You need to switch it off and get any food out but for free it is the first thing to try.

After that if it has a thermostat, and a thermocouple, they can easily be bought and replaced by a man with your skills.

If the refrigerant fluid is getting sluggish in the pipes on the back, the freezer might benefit from being turned upside down for 24 hours. This can dislodge blockages and get the circuit flowing again.

You need to switch it off and get any food out but for free it is the first thing to try.

After that if it has a thermostat, and a thermocouple, they can easily be bought and replaced by a man with your skills.

Are you trying to get him to burn his house down?:huh:

Hi denlin, the freezer is in the kitchen with all my other appliances incluuding a fridge. I've noticed that the compressor just runs permamently but the appliance doesn't appear to reach the desired ttemperature whether that's a minus figure or a plus figure (the appliance can function as afridge or freezer). When set to freezer, after a couple hours the appliance starts making an odd sort of resonating sound and the compressor eventually gets noiser as well as feeling very hot (too hot to touch).

Its a 6 foot upright freezer so I'd struggle to turn it upside down muddy.

Anyway its fully defrosted and turned off now so any advice on what else I can check or try before calling an engineer would be welcome (I've repaired other appliances so I'm ok with taking stuff apart and replacing bits if needed) as it is only about 4 years old and I don't have the sort of cash to buy an equivalent replacement, I thought an aeg would be a sound investment!

Archived