Lockerbie bomber freed

You know who I meant. As it happens I thought the shooting down of that Irani jet was a horrible act and was deeply concerned about the victims. I've heard the aircraft was called on the emergency frequency , always turned on on any commercial jet, was unanswered and the plane was on a direct path to the ship. But I have no proof that was ever so. It was a desperate act in any case, and indefensible.

No that was actually a genuine question.

Regardless though I am merely illustrating the double standards shown.

Do you not think Buck, that it was totally insensitive of Bush Snr to award Rogers a Legion of Merit when he was responsible for nearly 300 deaths with families still grieving their loss:?:

Had Rogers accidentally shot down an American airliner killing American citizens do you think Bush would have still awarded him a Legion of Merit:?:

All I'm saying is that the grief is ongoing. If the families accepted a guilty verdict in a Scottish court, and why should they not, aware as they were of the high quality of British justice, they would find some closure in that verdict. To be informed that a man who they had no reason to believe was innocent was being released, must have been a terrible letdown. I personally felt no pity whatsoever at the time for the man, but if evidence is found I will regret my thoughts. So far I still feel none, espescially seeing those demonstrations in Libya.

There have always been good grounds for suspecting he was innocent and 'the high quality of British justice' is always debatable.

The senior international observer at the trial, the UN's Dr Hans Kochler, condemned the proceedings as "politically influenced in breach of all legal traditions and principles, such as the Rule of law" and described the outcome as a "spectacular miscarriage of justice".

He also said "The persistent refusal of the UK Government to allow the disclosure of vital evidence to the Defense points to the direction of a cover-up. In the context of the irregularities at the Lockerbie trial and appeal in the Netherlands .. this development demonstrates the need for an independent investigation under a United Nations mandate".

dont know about that but I do know about the sacrifice made when I get a puncture on my mountain bike and I have to hand pump it up

be thankful you live in a liberal democracy where policemen and policewomen will help you, rather than a military dictatorship where the whole point is that they rob you blind. Every single day you're alive.

What are you talking about lol :hihi:

Buck your comment about "demonstations" is quite telling about your mind set.

In the pictures beamed around the Western media, who showed scant regard to the sensitivities of the Lockerbie victims families themselves in pursuit of coverage, showed crowds gathered to welcome home Megrahi you see "demonstations"

That says it all really.:rolleyes:

Picking on a simple typo error shows your pedantic mindset

There have always been good grounds for suspecting he was innocent and 'the high quality of British justice' is always debatable.

Christine Grahame, (Member of The Scottish Parliament) who has personally met Megrahi on a number of occasions writes an interesting article in The Independent today:

"Let me make one thing clear: I understand the hatred some feel for him, particularly the US relatives of the dead. It is, however, misplaced and it is in order to unravel for them the true story of Lockerbie, as much as to liberate an innocent man, that I and others worked hard for his compassionate release. This would have allowed the appeal process to be exhausted and evidence-led. The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission considered there was evidence vital enough for it to consider that there might have been a miscarriage of justice. That evidence, particularly relating to the identification of al-Megrahi linking him directly to the bombing has never and will now never be tested in a Scottish court.

"The previous week I had received an email from a whistleblower in the Justice Department telling me that the Libyan officials were being told in no uncertain terms that he must drop his appeal or there would be no compassionate release."

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/christine-grahame-almegrahi-is-home-and-he-is-innocent-1776188.html

No that was actually a genuine question.

Regardless though I am merely illustrating the double standards shown.

Do you not think Buck, that it was totally insensitive of Bush Snr to award Rogers a Legion of Merit when he was responsible for nearly 300 deaths with families still grieving their loss:?:

Had Rogers accidentally shot down an American airliner killing American citizens do you think Bush would have still awarded him a Legion of Merit:?:

No I don't think Bush should have rewarded Rogers for what he did. Did you not read what I said about that whole affair. I'm not comparing apples and oranges, both events beggar description. What does any of this have to do with grief? Do you think that the families of the PanAm atrocity told Bush to have an Iranian airliner shot down? More likely their sympathies woulld have been with the Irani relatives. This is not a nation of insensitive oafs, though some might think so. There is much volunteerism here toward those less fortunate than themselves, without any government help or insistance.

I was very careful to check for typos.

No I don't think Bush should have rewarded Rogers for what he did. Did you not read what I said about that whole affair. I'm not comparing apples and oranges, both events beggar description. What does any of this have to do with grief? Do you think that the families of the PanAm atrocity told Bush to have an Iranian airliner shot down? More likely their sympathies woulld have been with the Irani relatives. This is not a nation of insensitive oafs, though some might think so. There is much volunteerism here toward those less fortunate than themselves, without any government help or insistance.

I was very careful to check for typos.

Yes I did read your comments about the shooting down of the Iran Airliner but you hadn't commented on Bush's action of rewarding this man a Legion of Merit award.

What's this to do with grief:?:

Can't you see the double standard being played out here:confused:

On the one hand the US officials and now the FBI director are all crying foul of the insensitivity shown by the Scottish and the Libyans to the grieving families of Lockerbie.

But did those same officials now crying foul show the same condemnation to Bush when he awarded Rogers a Legion of Merit award.....I somehow doubt it.:mad:

Oh how Impartial you are. :hihi:

After all, your fellow americans were being so polite to me

Rude is rude. What you said was particularly nasty, and certainly uncalled for. Shame on you. You do yourself no favors saying things like that. :(

Abdul Baset Ali al-Megrahi may or may not be guilty. Let us not forget that he was found guilty by a Scottish Court, however, his release has been sanctioned , not by Scottish law but by Scottish Politics. I essence, his release is a sham

Whilst this is true, you have to factor in that according to Christine Grahame Scottish member of parliament that has met with Al-Megrahi, no compasionate release would be considered unless Al-Megrahi dropped his appeal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/christine-grahame-almegrahi-is-home-and-he-is-innocent-1776188.html

So if indeed this was the case Al Megrahi faced a very tough decision:

Either to drop his appeal and remain a convicted man for the rest of his days

Or

Spend the few months he has left imprisoned in Scotland for something he always claims he had no involvement with.

Archived