Wincobank Hill Memories

This Saturday 22nd August09, Friends of Wincobnk Hill Group will be helping out at the Fun Day. Starts 11am at Wincobank Chapel Wincobank Avenue.

we are helping to collect an aural history of your memories of living on and around Wincobank hill to form an archive of memories.

Alternatively come along and join the fun.

What memories Wincobank Hill bring back and the fun we had as kids on there. Free to roam in those days I can still vividly remeber the gun and searchlight stands (with the open base of the light stand forming a brill 'den / cave). The old 'castle' cum house and white cottages just below towards Jenkin Road. You could walk through a passage 1/2 way along the row and walk down the long steep path towards Brightside. The reservoir below the steep grassy slope of the hill where farming was done - seems like dozens of sylarks hovering above all day singing their hearts out. On the side overlooking shiregreen there were loads of small oak bushes forming a thick 'wood' - at least so it seemed to us kids - brill den country. I also recall a very long steel spiked fence which ran all the way from the old grey tip (we called them the greyhills) - to the daffodil road entrance to the hill - there was a gate at that end with a big gap under it. Could never understand why that fence was ever erected - it seemed to have a pathway / driveway running paralell to it on the upper side. there was also the frogspawn pond on the tip just below Honeysuckle Road and a big tip just below the Greyhills with a big seemingly bottomless crater filled with all sorts of chemicals / scrap / water. Often wonder what the devil was down there?? I could go on for ages about our childhoods on that wonderful spot where you seemed on top of the World! Hope this may bring back some memories to folks?

Hello, not quite sure what to say, new to this, but my gramma and grandad used to live in the white cottage on top of Wincobank Hill and my Uncle lived in the other one further down. They owned the fields around the cottage and had hens and pigs in the earlier years. Spent many a day rolling down the bank as a child. Does anyone remember the Manor House a bit further on up the lane before the gun stand.

Hello, not quite sure what to say, new to this, but my gramma and grandad used to live in the white cottage on top of Wincobank Hill and my Uncle lived in the other one further down. They owned the fields around the cottage and had hens and pigs in the earlier years. Spent many a day rolling down the bank as a child. Does anyone remember the Manor House a bit further on up the lane before the gun stand.

Was it anywhere around this place?

DSCN7170.jpg

Archived