Wincobank Hill Memories

hi all, patsue what was your grans name i probably know her. my grans name was elisebeth roberts and she owned the middle section of cottages on the hill.she gave the cottages to my dad jack wilde, we lived there from the mid 50s until the roofs where blown off in the sheffield gales.i remember the thunderbolt i was watching tv with my brother(lassie come home in black and white) when it came through the roof and blew out all the electric cables in the houses. my name is paul and i remember old man hamberjham(spelling] taking me on his horse and cart to go round the flower estate collecting leftovers for the pigs. happy days

My Grans name was Alice Habbajam married to James and yes they did collect old food for the pigs. My dad was one of their 5 surviving siblins, all sadly gone now. There were only chickens and a couple of horses there when I was growing up. I was only 3 years old when grandad died and left gran to maintain the farm.

Was that on the Firth Park side of Wincobank Hill, between the prefabs and Shiregreen?

used to go down the allotments on windmill lane as i lived on bevercotes it was this side of winco hill no prefabs at that time yust the tip prefabs was built till 1946 or there abouts

if you went down windmill there was a path took you down to the tipand a short cut to upwell street

cheers hope that helps

used to go down the allotments on windmill lane as i lived on bevercotes it was this side of winco hill no prefabs at that time yust the tip prefabs was built till 1946 or there abouts

if you went down windmill there was a path took you down to the tipand a short cut to upwell street

cheers hope that helps

I didn't know that side of the tip very well but thanks for the info.

Although I am serious about the ancient history of Wincobank Hill I find this media of this Forum to be of the most importance to me.

The wealth of information that we talk about amongst ourselves could be seen as a history book of life on and around Wincobank Hill in the future. Yes gracie the Barrage balloon tethers (concreate bases ) played the most important role of anti aircraft defence during the war. German pilots often only had old road maps of england to get around and the scattered barrage balloons on the Firth Park side of the hill misdirected the bombers to think an important site lie beneath the balloons. Do you remember the metal conical shaped peices of tin we sat in to be spun around these I have found were for the blackouts at the steel works that shut the chimineys so enemy planes could not see the glow of the furnaces. they were great fun and were prized for den making.

Thanks for the information about the Trig point.

That seems to put to bed the idea of a searchlite stand inside the hill fort (unless you guys know different).

We wo'nt be able to do anything inside the fort as it is a registered monument.

Many thanks.

Hello I've sent you a PM.

I seem to remember that in the 1980's a large bonfire was lit on the top of the hill which was kept burning for several days. It was to commemorate the anniversary of something or other. Several beacons were lit across the country for the same reason if memory serves me correctly. Anyone remember what it was for? (Not 5 Nov BTW)

Archived