Social group for non drinkers

denisedenise

yawn, apart from being ridiculously patronising and condescending, somebody already posted near enough the exact same thing.

for some people it is possible, for some people it is not. saying that it is impossible for everyone just highlights your naivity and stupidity.

For a true alcoholic the ONLY way is abstenance.....I know this.....my partner is an alcoholic - each day he struggles to stay sober.....and after a year of trying it EVERY other way so he could still drink he now acknowledges that if he picks up he is doomed to drink for that day and probably for more days after that one.

Anyway this thread is about someone wanting to start up a social group for non drinkers....perhaps we could try getting back on topic :rolleyes:

For a true alcoholic the ONLY way is abstenance.....I know this.....my partner is an alcoholic - each day he struggles to stay sober.....and after a year of trying it EVERY other way so he could still drink he now acknowledges that if he picks up he is doomed to drink for that day and probably for more days after that one.

Anyway this thread is about someone wanting to start up a social group for non drinkers....perhaps we could try getting back on topic :rolleyes:

I see, so your partner is an alcoholic; therefore, all other alcoholics must be exactly the same! :) I understand.

And to think that I was under the confirmed impression that some people manage to drink themselves to oblivion over five years or more, lose their job and end up in ITU through food poisoning due to the squalid conditions their alcoholism led them to, and make a full recovery, albeit with reduced liver function, get a job, a family and enjoy social drinking again without an irresistible desire to do it all again! What an ignorant fool I am! :roll: I guess this friend of mine cannot have been a real alcoholic then.

The other person I know wasn't quite so bad, so obviously wasn't even a contender for the title 'alcoholic', despite getting very ill, nearly losing her job on several occasions, and putting back more alcohol in a day, every day, than I can cope with in a week! All she needed was a stable partner, whom she was lucky to meet. She now enjoys a couple of pints of real ale socially each Saturday down her local, and is quite satisfied with that, so she can't have been a real alcoholic either! :roll:

It's clearly nothing to do with one's addiction to, and abuse of, alcohol, but the sorry state some people get themselves into despite having ceased drinking that makes one a real alcoholic! :roll: Not!

I see, so your partner is an alcoholic; therefore, all other alcoholics must be exactly the same! :) I understand.

And to think that I was under the confirmed impression that some people manage to drink themselves to oblivion over five years or more, lose their job and end up in ITU through food poisoning due to the squalid conditions their alcoholism led them to, and make a full recovery, albeit with reduced liver function, get a job, a family and enjoy social drinking again without an irresistible desire to do it all again! What an ignorant fool I am! :roll: I guess this friend of mine cannot have been a real alcoholic then.

The other person I know wasn't quite so bad, so obviously wasn't even a contender for the title 'alcoholic', despite getting very ill, nearly losing her job on several occasions, and putting back more alcohol in a day, every day, than I can cope with in a week! All she needed was a stable partner, whom she was lucky to meet. She now enjoys a couple of pints of real ale socially each Saturday down her local, and is quite satisfied with that, so she can't have been a real alcoholic either! :roll:

It's clearly nothing to do with one's addiction to, and abuse of, alcohol, but the sorry state some people get themselves into despite having ceased drinking that makes one a real alcoholic! :roll: Not!

you complete fool :hihi:

well said.

you complete fool :hihi:

well said.

Cheers - I am of the opinion that absolutism is always wrong! :hihi:

As far as I am aware, there are alcoholics who never want to touch a drop again, and I respect that. There are also those who, fortunately, overcome or simply lose the desire to drink to excess, enabling them to enjoy normal moderate consumption. As for those who can't take another sip without embarrassing themselves: that's too bad! I do wish they and their doubtlessly long-suffering families wouldn't seek to drag everyone else down to the same level as if by way of some bizarre inverted snobbery!

Cheers - I am of the opinion that absolutism is always wrong! :hihi:

As far as I am aware, there are alcoholics who never want to touch a drop again, and I respect that. There are also those who, fortunately, overcome or simply lose the desire to drink to excess, enabling them to enjoy normal moderate consumption. As for those who can't take another sip without embarrassing themselves: that's too bad! I do wish they and their doubtlessly long-suffering families wouldn't seek to drag everyone else down to the same level as if by way of some bizarre inverted snobbery!

Tell you what then Dhimmi.....let's scrap Alcoholics Anonymous and all the other agencies that support recovering alcoholics.....and YOU set up an organisation based on your idea of how to help alcoholics based on your understanding of the problems people with alcohol addiction face on a daily basis.

After all I am certain that all those people who pray that they are blessed with an alcohol free day every day and struggle not to pick up would much prefer the type of support you could give them :|

Archived