Bendy Bus sheffield

dek34

To clarify the situation regarding pits , when the bendis were introduced (2nd batch) the pits were updated at greenland road as they already had the long pits in for artics the pits at rotherham were extended to take the coach seated mans that were used on the Goldthrope (ex Dearneways ) service I suspect the new FTRs are slightly longer , howeverm the problem is not the length in comparison with the old batches of bendis its the exctra length compared with a "modern" bus.

The other thing to remember is that you need space to get the bendi bus in garage - start with - and then into the pit

To clarify the situation regarding pits , when the bendis were introduced (2nd batch) the pits were updated at greenland road as they already had the long pits in for artics the pits at rotherham were extended to take the coach seated mans that were used on the Goldthrope (ex Dearneways ) service I suspect the new FTRs are slightly longer , howeverm the problem is not the length in comparison with the old batches of bendis its the exctra length compared with a "modern" bus.

The other thing to remember is that you need space to get the bendi bus in garage - start with - and then into the pit

..as much as you would like it Busman , i am sure you mean OVER the pit ? ...tut ,tut:hihi:

..as much as you would like it Busman , i am sure you mean OVER the pit ? ...tut ,tut:hihi:

:hihi: I get the feeling that bus man thinks that they are the pits.

Back on topic, what happend to the original Bendy's once they left service in Sheffield? I seem to recall seeing something not long after about some of them being used in Glasgow.

I remember probaly twenty years ago being at police show in herringthorpe rotherham

They had a bendibus ambulance a jumbalance i think it was called ,

they came down a small bank at roadside and grounded out in middle, several attempts made to tow off no luck till bus mechanics came from rotherham and undid some thing in middle of turn table iut was then towed with no problem

I remember probaly twenty years ago being at police ............. no luck till bus mechanics came from rotherham and undid some thing in middle of turn table iut was then towed with no problem

That would have been one of the specialy purchased buses for use on pigramige to Lordes , suspect it was the same poblem as mentioned earlier.

That would have been one of the specialy purchased buses for use on pigramige to Lordes , suspect it was the same poblem as mentioned earlier.

Yes, that's correct. A friend of mine, who was very involved in the Catholic Church, was a volunteer, some years ago for the Across Trust, who ran the "Jumbulances".

She used to work as a carer/ facilitator/ P-A for the disabled people who were taken on pilgrimages to places like Lourdes, Rome, and Santander.

The vehicles were kitted out like a cross between a coach, an ambulance, and a camper van, with bunk beds and all the what-have-you.

I haven't heard much of the Across trust for quite a few years, but I presume they are still going, as I know people still go to places like Santander, Rome, Lourdes, and even the shrine at Walsingham, in Norfolk...

(My mother-in-law, who is Catholic went on pilgrimage to Walsingham, a few years ago.)

I couldnt remember the name of the organisation , yes ive not heard of them for a while they were very vocal at one time

I remember the Across Trust displaying a Jumbulance at the top of Fargate, in the mid eighties, when the fountain was still there. I've not heard much about them in recent years, either.

I'll google them, see if they are still going.