Bring back the 70s sheffield

craig12

the old sheffield was much better than this, mind you if your under 40 you may get left behind here, the hole in the road, radio hallam,roger sherwoods, harringtons,suggs,wopentake,craisy daisy, classic cinema, studio 5,6,7 , guemont, cinicentre, pond street cyril/nora,violet mays, valances, fiesta club,hallam tower hotel, grovesnor house,club trips, the discoes, johnny kalendar,bitter suite,jade,cfs, kelly temple,keith skews, roger moffat,martin kelner,s.u.t.tours/ bendi busses,waring and gillow,cokaynes,walshes,pauldens,tramps,subsidised bus fares,bus conducters,lord mayors parade, darnall medical aid, the smell of the brewery on ladys bridge, banners at attercliffe, banners money, co op milk cheques, sheaf valley baths, the heavy snow falls, the power cuts, .... more memories than today ........

the old sheffield was much better than this, mind you if your under 40 you may get left behind here, the hole in the road, radio hallam,roger sherwoods, harringtons,suggs,wopentake,craisy daisy, classic cinema, studio 5,6,7 , guemont, cinicentre, pond street cyril/nora,violet mays, valances, fiesta club,hallam tower hotel, grovesnor house,club trips, the discoes, johnny kalendar,bitter suite,jade,cfs, kelly temple,keith skews, roger moffat,martin kelner,s.u.t.tours/ bendi busses,waring and gillow,cokaynes,walshes,pauldens,tramps,subsidised bus fares,bus conducters,lord mayors parade, darnall medical aid, the smell of the brewery on ladys bridge, banners at attercliffe, banners money, co op milk cheques, sheaf valley baths, the heavy snow falls, the power cuts, .... more memories than today ........

What about a steel industry!!... that kept everbody employed and able to enjoy all the above???;)

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be..

No doubt in the 70s people were harking back to the 50s, and in the 50s people thought the 30s were better...

Doubt many would think that the noughties were that good TBH.

I'm an 80's kid but I still remember all the above in the first post.Even in 80's though which was so traumatic for Sheffield I thought it was brilliant.

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be..

No doubt in the 70s people were harking back to the 50s, and in the 50s people thought the 30s were better...

Are you quite mad? I can't believe anyone would ever hark back and say the 30s were better. For a start, there was a worldwide Great Depression preceded by a World War and followed by a World War!

I'd say that probably the later 1950s, 60s and 70s were the best eras that anyone has ever lived through in the history of the world, especially for ordinary working people. They were a halycon period.

Are you quite mad? I can't believe anyone would ever hark back and say the 30s were better. For a start, there was a worldwide Great Depression preceded by a World War and followed by a World War!

I'd say that probably the later 1950s, 60s and 70s were the best eras that anyone has ever lived through in the history of the world, especially for ordinary working people. They were a halycon period.

In terms of prosperity and employment I would agree with you, Ruby.

The sales of domestic electricals (such as TVs ) and white goods boomed.

My father could walk out of his job at 10 am, and be taken on by another employer before lunch.

In many ways I quite agree. People somehow seemed less materialistic and more family-oriented in the 1950s, social life was different and often more "social" (e.g. going to the pictures in groups instead of watching DVD's at home). Terrorism was something that happened in faraway places etc. etc.

As for the 1960s, well, they say that if you can remember the 1960s you can't have been there!.;)

Archived