Bring back the 70s sheffield

craig12

Put me right if I'm wrong - and I know someone will, but in the 70's didn't the government make a cold war type film of what would happen/what to do if a nuclear bomb exploded on a UK city and it chose Sheffield as the hyperthetical city?

Yes - but it was actually a TV play called "Threads" - see here.

What about chapel walk with sound of the fan and smell of the coffee from the cafe down there

That's taken me back.

Does anyone recall the name of the two bookshops that used to be in Chapel Walk? One was on the "bend" in the middle and the second one was further down, heading towards the Crucible.

The one on the "bend" was more open, light and airy, whereas the other one was more a traditional type book shop, more books but less space (if my memory can be relied on).

Does anyone recall the name of the two bookshops that used to be in Chapel Walk? One was on the "bend" in the middle and the second one was further down, heading towards the Crucible.

The one on the "bend" was more open, light and airy, whereas the other one was more a traditional type book shop, more books but less space (if my memory can be relied on).

These were A.B. Ward (on the bend at No 35) and the Methodist Bookshop (further down at No 47). The bookseller Alan Ward (1897-1979) was the son of Thomas W. Ward, founder of the scrap metal firm.

Yes - but it was actually a TV play called "Threads" - see here.

Thanks hillsbro. I had a quick look at the link and was surprised that the programme was made in 1984. I thought it was earlier than that. I remember that CND was pretty big at that time. The word 'nuclear' stills sends shivvers down my spine.

Thanks hillsbro. I had a quick look at the link and was surprised that the programme was made in 1984. I thought it was earlier than that. I remember that CND was pretty big at that time. The word 'nuclear' stills sends shivvers down my spine.

Anyone who feels like watching it again can see it on Google Video or by searching YouTube.

I think what I miss most about Sheffield in the 70s is my youth!! But I must agree with some on here,Sheffield,like everywhere else in my opinion has gone downhill! I still love Sheffield, though I left in 1975 when I was coming up 20,sadly I think the country as a whole is a worse place to live than back then,I,m glad I,m not growing up now.There has been bullying/fighting since time began,its human nature to some.But now people seem to be more vicious and it doesnt seem important if someone is killed!! 30-35 years ago if someone had been battered to death,it would have been front page news,it appears commonplace now!!Gone are the days when a couple of lads would slug it out with fisticuffs,not even using feet!! Now its gangs beating people to death just for fun,I despair for future generations,politicians seek reasons for this behaviour,I can give them one,we have'nt taught our children to respect others,you can blame whatever you like,teachers,police,tv,but what it boils down to is the breakdown of the family unit.lack of parental control,a total lack of respect for others and a dog eat dog way of thinking,the worlds gone mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some 1970s memories of Sheffield.

The smell of beer from the breweries

Ward's Brewery Neon lighting at the foot of Ecclesall Road

The blue and cream buses

The glorious summer of '76 and 'Use Water Sparingly' signs in school toilets

Toy Fayre toy shop in Ranmoor

The field at the top of Gladstone Road (a housing estate today)

The Moor open to traffic with a row of superb shops

Redgates

Goodwin Fountain and the fountain outside Midland Station when they worked

Fantastic Christmas lights, the large spherical lights in Barker's Pool

Arundel Gate Underpass and of course, the Hole In The Road (clean)

Silver Jubilee Celebrations and street bunting in 1977

The Silver Jubilee bus which was painted in guess?! Yeh, silver!

Amoco Cadiz oil reaching Endcliffe Park

And more!

Archived