Bring back the 70s sheffield

craig12

I think what I miss most about Sheffield in the 70s is my youth!!

I miss my hair! :(

The Silver Jubilee bus which was painted in guess?! Yeh, silver!

There was a Silver Jubilee taxi as well, which stood out a lot more back then as we didn't have the diferent coloured "Black" cabs or ones' covered in adverts.

Well, some of us have become naturalised Lincolnshire Yellerbellies - it's not so bad after a while. Once you get used to tenfoots instead of gennels, and kelter instead of tranklements you're not so smockraffled (confused).

1970s Sheffield was something of a Golden Age for me. I had just started work in a job I could do, and Sheffield had some features that the city is now poorer without, two of these being (as Ousetunes noted) the blue & cream buses and a good range of shops on The Moor. Most of all I miss the pubs on West Street - they went "trendy" and lost their English pub atmosphere.

Well, some of us have become naturalised Lincolnshire Yellerbellies - it's not so bad after a while. Once you get used to tenfoots instead of gennels, and kelter instead of tranklements you're not so smockraffled (confused).

1970s Sheffield was something of a Golden Age for me. I had just started work in a job I could do, and Sheffield had some features that the city is now pooer without, two of these being (as Ousetunes noted) the blue & cream buses and a good range of shops on The Moor. Most of all I miss the pubs on West Street - they went "trendy" and lost their English pub atmosphere.

My step father always said he was an 'apple knocker' so I guess he was from a different part of Lincolnshire to the Yellerbellies.

what about the buccaneer and the gold room the saddle and the raven,women wearing turbans and boiler suits.when you could window shop at night any night and get no abuse and not get arrested for knuckling some one who did.buses going through town both ways.copper kettle and the claymore, proper working men ,singing and whistling bus conductors.market selling tripe and cow heel with salt and vinegar ummmmmm! le petite on division st great snacks.robert bros,freeman hardy and willis,jays and lewis leathers,hope linda,carol and anita are well.what about ray allans and winstons red circle libraries lets not forget pippys,albert pub, wilson gumperts toy shop and dormie out fitters,waring and gillows and proctors furniture shops benefit shoe shops and let us not forget the tallyman who our mothers dodged when he came for his money.

anyone remember bartons on west street used to be vat 1

Was this the place that did 18" pizza's? If so loved the place.

West street was brilliant then, no poncy pubs just good old pubs. The beehive had two old dears that went in every night and sat in the same place (realised why after, as the seat was a little moist shall we say when they left, so no one sat there). if any one remembers their names please let me know.

Went in Beehive almost every night, then made my way down, via every pub to the Limit, where I was most nights from 1979 'til 86. Great days

West street was brilliant then, no poncy pubs just good old pubs. The beehive had two old dears that went in every night and sat in the same place ...

The West Street Hotel had two old dears who served behind the bar (beehive hair-dos, Mrs Merton glasses, pendant earrings, Ponds makeup - glamorous in a "Darby & Joan" kind of way). I don't know what happened to them - they'd be about 109 now...:P

Archived