Is drink driving acceptable if your driving a mobility scooter?

Is it acceptable to drink drive a mobility scooter?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to drink drive a mobility scooter?

• Yesh tit is!
    • No, absolutely not.
    • Don't know

I think there's a good case for allowing old people to drink drive as a reward for having worked hard all their lives. They drive so slowly they're unlikely to have an accident so why shouldn't they be able to have a beer or two over the limit? It's not like they have to be up for work the following morning.

Mind you, sometimes they are a danger to themselves....

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2404/pic05075qj9.jpg

Out of interest, where are these pubs? I can't recall ever seeing this happen (not doubting it does though!).

Outside The Bridge in Heeley yesterday at half 3 in the afternoon. Old fella straight down the kerb into the traffic, then rode in the middle of the lane so cars couldn't overtake. I saw a Police Mitsubishi Evo do a U-turn as he passed in the opposite direction. Unfortunately I didn't see if it turned into a Police chase.

I think there's a good case for allowing old people to drink drive as a reward for having worked hard all their lives. They drive so slowly they're unlikely to have an accident so why shouldn't they be able to have a beer or two over the limit? It's not like they have to be up for work the following morning.

Mind you, sometimes they are a danger to themselves....

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2404/pic05075qj9.jpg

:thumbsup:

Agreed Basil

If we can get Plain Talker on here she could possibly answer you as she 'works' for Shopmbility Sheffield

No. It's not at all acceptable.

Yes, you can be charged with being "drunk-in-charge-of-a-vehicle" be it a mobility Scoota, a push-bike a motor bike a car or a van/ lorry.

In Shopmobility's training, we are very specific that we do not permit people who are "under the influence" to use the scootas, and we warn the service users that it is not allowed. Shopmobility has a clause in the contract which says the service user will adhere to the code of conduct.**

If we find that someone is using/ has used a scoota "under the influence" bans can be, and indeed, are issued.

We have had, on occasions, customers coming in, smelling of drink, and obviously under the influence. We have to politely say to them, "sorry, but we cannot allow you to use a scooter today".

** amongst the clauses (to paraphrase), there are :-

"no carrying of passengers"

"only the authorised person is to ride on the scoota"

"no speeding" and

"no drinking-and driving"

I would be interested to know what makes them legal to use unregistered, uninsured and able to use the pavements. I have an 1100 Yamaha engine and box that I recon I could fit in one.:hihi:

it depends on what class the mobility scoota comes under.

class one, (manual wheelchairs) don't need tax or insurance to operate.

class two, < 4 miles an hour) are also not required to have tax or insurance.(to the best of my knowledge)

class three, > 4 miles an hour, and "roadworthy", (that is "up to 8 mph") with lights, indicators and handbrake, DO have to have tax and insurance.

edited to add:-

the scootas are powered by a couple of car batteries, generally, and not a petrol engine, which I think makes a big difference to the power and speeds they can do.

There is one guy who hangs around outside of the bankers draft thats on one of these.

I have seen him riding around, with a child on it as well and he usually has a drink in his hand as well - in fact, I once watched him go up the tram tracks like this.....

There is one guy who hangs around outside of the bankers draft thats on one of these.

I have seen him riding around, with a child on it as well and he usually has a drink in his hand as well - in fact, I once watched him go up the tram tracks like this.....

so long as it's not one of Shopmobility's scootas that he's driving!! - We have no jurisdiction over his actions if it's privately owned.

(what colour is his scoota, just out of interest?)

Archived