Cafe/bar in Kelham Island

coffeeking

If there was a cafe bar in Kelham Island would you use it?

It would be serving breakfast all the way through to dinner and sell high quality coffee and alcoholic beverages.

All opinions are welcome.

Is this a different cafe to the one planning on opening soon(ish) in Kelham Mills or the planning application for a restaurant/cafe in Kelham Riverside?

This would be at the Kelham Riverside, I cannot give details regarding the branding of the shop. But this would be part of a large chain. Due to a perceived gap in the market I.E. currently all cafes in the area are greasy spoons, opposed to upmarket cafe/bars which are more in keeping with the direction of Kelham Island Development.

Best Regards

Nothing wrong with greasy spoons or individual cafes, they do the best breakfasts ;) Problem is that Costa and Starbucks attract the same kind of people wherever you go, and suck the individuality out of an area. IMO i dont think that would suit Kelham Island but thats just me.

Its a bit sad in my opinion, especially that end of town, it should retain some of the engineering skills its known for. in ten years time itll be just like any other area in any other city, full of flats and X5s

Rant over. :D

Ps. i dont like coffee.

lol

Most of you will be happy to know that this shop will not be a star bucks or costa, the chain is actually a franchise of Italian origin. Therefore it should offer the benefits of both a large multinational chain and individual café. The café subject to licensing will be open from 7 am until with any luck 12pm as the décor suits both uses (bar/café) it will be quite individual and to the best of my knowledge there is no similar concept in the Sheffield Area.

P.S. I also agree that there is noting wrong with greasy spoons both venues cater for different customers :)

If this is Caffe Gusto, I'm in. The place works well elsewhere and perhaps a bit more of a brand is needed in the area and will no doubt be welcomed and supported by the local student folk. In fact, any of the other decent names, Lavazza, Illy, would be great. It also in theory wouldn't detract from the usual suspects; Riverside Cafe, Milestone, Fat Cat, Kelham Tav etc as it's a different market.

But as noted by others, plans are afoot for an 'arrangement' at both Kelham Mills and Kelham Riverside. It seems entrepreneurs have only just woken up to the opportunity at Kelham Island. If I had the capital, I'd have pinched the Kelham Riverside site sometime ago and set up as a competitor to the Milestone with some different attributes.

Price points are key things to consider as always. Sure sell £2.50 coffees if you must; but people will simply buy less, stay in for longer, and stop by less frequentely.

• 2 weeks later...

which unit is this in kelham island, the retail opportunity or the bar restaurant unit. As 6000 odd sq/ft is a bit big for a cafe bar, as well as do you know when this is looking at opening? as a resident in kelham riverside, i think a smaller more comfortable cafe bar would be accepted better than a big empty feeling place. Hope this feedback helps, as a bar owner myself i know how usefull it is to have accurate feedback.

Archived