Former McDonald's on the Moor

McDonalds address is 1-5 The Moor. In 1972, No 1 was Eastern Carpets, No 3 was Mansfields shoe shop and No 5 was Curtis's Radio, TV & Hi-Fi. Redgates had been a bit lower down than this on the same side; by 1972 they had moved to 18-24 Furnival Gate.

Mansfield's - that was it! I'd been trying to remember the name of the shoe shop. I got some lovely brogues there - the height of fashion they were (in about 1963....). Some of us old fogies can remember Redgates being in Fargate....:(

Redgates was sunwin house however there was a sister shop (cant remember what they sold) round the corner in the moor between woolworths and what became Mcdonalds. You could actulay walk throug the basement from one to the other

Redgates was sunwin house however there was a sister shop (cant remember what they sold) round the corner in the moor between woolworths and what became Mcdonalds. You could actulay walk throug the basement from one to the other

Yes - that was Redgate's toy shop on The Moor which I remember from the 1950s and early 1960s; it was on two levels, the ground floor and basement. I hadn't realised that for a while they had the Sunwin House shop at the same time and the two were connected. Much longer ago (as beechnut noted) Redgates was at 19 Fargate, where Marks & Spencers is now.

McDonalds address is 1-5 The Moor. In 1972, No 1 was Eastern Carpets, No 3 was Mansfields shoe shop and No 5 was Curtis's Radio, TV & Hi-Fi. Redgates had been a bit lower down than this on the same side; by 1972 they had moved to 18-24 Furnival Gate.

Curtis's was W.H.Curtis, record shop. I believe it was the first self service record shop in England.

Note that "hillsbro" gave the date as 1972. At that time W.H. Curtis sold mainly Radio, TV and audi equipment (and the firm is listed as such in trade directories of the early 1970s) but they also sold records. Later, they began to sell more records as the market changed and such firms as Comet and Dixons took a bigger share of the TV and Hi-Fi business (for example, Comet opened at Malin Bridge in 1973). So by the 1980s Curtis's sold mainly records.

That's right as I remember it, beechnut. In fact, 37 years on, it might be interesting to see what businesses were on the Moor in 1972. Here are scans from the 1973 Kelly's Directory (complied in mid-1972). Firstly the shops from what is now McDonalds down to the Zing Vaa and B.R.W.:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Moor.jpg

and the whole of the Moor:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Moor2.jpg

Edited by hillsbro