The history of Whirlow Farm

vikinruby

Please does anyone know what the existing whirlow farm buildings were used for? I know Whirlow Hall estate was originally owned by the Bright family who then sold it to the Stouthard (?) family and then to the Hollis family in circa 18 century. Hollis house was originally a hospital......but what were the whirlow farm buildings? One of the barns I believe to be dated in 17th century. There seems to be very little information about it on the Sheffield history sites. Can anyone help?

I have a recently published book, 'WHIRLOW the story of an ancient Sheffield hamlet' by Shirley Frost. ISBN 0 901100 26 9 Theres several mentions of Whirlow farm in there. Theres also the Whirlow Hall farm Trust, can they help?.

Many thanks for that Jogi, I will have to have a run out to Castleton where I believe they sell the book. The Whirlow Hall farm Trust web site only talks about the history from the 1970's when it became a trust. I am particularly interested in the original piggery which I understand is now the mews cottages on the top of Croft lane. Any ides?

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure where my son got the book from, MAYBE the SHEFFIELD shop which is on Ecclesall Road, near Tesco. I'm afraid've no knowledge of the farm and don't where to suggest looking apart from maps in the Local Studies Dept.,Central Library,Sheffield. Good luck. P.s The name 'Broad Oaks Lane' was changed to Broad ELMS lane about 1900 if this is relevant.

Archived