Recommend me some bars, etc.

Haldamir

Hey guys and gals.

Some mates and I were chatting the other night and we realised that we just go to the same places over and over again, and would like to try out some other bars and pubs for a change.

Our regular haunts include: The Nelson, The Benjamin Huntsman, Devonshire Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Bia Hoi and, on the odd occasion, Varsity (west Street one) and the Nursery Tavern.

We've also had the odd evening out at The Fat Cat, Frog & Parrot, The Harley (before it got a bit crappy) and The Old Queen's Head.

Suggestions?

Well, where to start...

One idea is a pub crawl based on the Supertram route between Castle Square and Hillsborough visiting a pub close to each stop. Just buy a £3 dayrider to get the tram between pubs and away you go!

Castle Square - Dove & Rainbow

Cathedral - Wig & Pen, Three Cranes, Three Tuns

City Hall - Trippets, Dog & Partridge, Grapes, Waterworks Co

West Street - Red Deer, Bath Hotel, Old House, Bungalows & Bears, Washington

University - University Arms

Shalesmoor - Wellington, Shakespeare, Milestone

Langsett Primrose View - Hillsborough Hotel

Bamforth Street - New Barrack Tavern

Hillsborough - Rawson Spring

Or how about some out of the City Centre options. There is a decent pub crawl around Broomhill, or around Crookes & Walkley. Even Chapeltown, Woodseats, Bradway or Totley has some scope.

Dronfield offers a reasonable pub crawl too. Get the train there and start in the Bridge Inn, then the Old Sidings and the White Swan. From there a bit of a walk up to the Green Dragon, then you have the Blue Stoops and the Victoria Inn. Finally, from there a bit of a walk if you fancy it down the hill to the Coach & Horses.

If you fancy an afternoon session, then the Bradfield bus crawl is quite pleasant and scenic. Get the 61/62 from Hillsborough Interchange and the bus runs every hour on a circular route (61 goes one way round, 62 t'other) and take in pubs such as the Nags Head at Loxley, Old Horns at High Bradfield, Plough at Low Bradfield, Royal Hotel at Dungworth and the Anvil at Stannington amongst others. Also you can stop off at Bradfield Brewery on the way round and visit their shop to pick up some bottles to take home! If you are a large group and arrange in advance, you may be able to get a tour of the brewery too!

Another daytime bus crawl, this time based on the M17 which runs hourly between Jordanthorpe and Dore via:

Greenhill - White Swan and White Hart

Bradway - The Bradway, Castle Inn and Old Mother Redcap

Totley Rise - Shepley Spitfire

Totley - Cross Scythes, Fleur de Lys, Crown Inn and Cricket Inn

Dore - Hare & Hounds and Devonshire Arms.

With the exception of the Totley pubs, the bus will stop more or less right outside all the pubs listed. The Cross Scythes is about a 5 minute walk from the bus route then the other pubs follow on from there.

Woah! Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Out of those listed, I've been to: Dove & Rainbow (okay, but a bit rough/scruffy - though that was a few years back), Grapes (not bad if you're in the mood), The Globe (meh), Graduate (not bad), Common Room (not impressed - though that's more down to there being a fair few idiots in the couple of times I've been).

I've also been the odd one up Crookes/Broomhill way, but none of them were that impressive (Is one of them called The Ball?). I've also been to the Riverside down towards Kelham/Fat Cat area. That was decent, though I'd probably choose the Kelham/Cat combo over it.

Archived