Has anyone ever used an auction house to sell furniture?

I have an old vicorian farmhouse table and a lovley old art decco mirror(i love it but am in the minority), sadly they will never be used and I am thinking of putting them up for sale. I have never sent anything to auction before and was hoping someone could give me a little advice as to where to send them and what the best thing to do is.

Would I be better going to a dealer or using an auctioneer? If someone could point me towards the sort of places I should be aproaching that would be fantastic . :)

Is Elsecar in Barnsley? the only problem I have is not driving so I was thinking of somewhere a little closer to home. Mind you if they give fair prices I may be better organising some transport, the other thing thats worrying me is getting ripped off because I have no idea what the value of the items is. I have seen tables that look the same as mine selling on traders websites for a few grand. And I don't want to get conned into selling for peanuts if I can have a little more.

Hi

we seem to be doing alot of deliveries to the one on scotland street.

dont know the name...it is just over the hill from west bar police station,

good side is everytime we have delivered we seem to get the job of taking it to the new owner;)

tony

• 1 year later...

The one on Scotland Street is not ELR. If I can recall it is Dowes or Dawes. I used this one some 2 years ago and did not think highly of it. But again ELR have changed the auction house. Never used the new place and have been told they are both expensive and not many good buyers or collectors use them now. This said. I have several items I want to auction and hope to get them into a decent auction, Finding one here in Sheffield is difficult Pity we cannot find a cheap way to send the items to Christies in London.

If anyone can assist in recommending a good auction house here or close by I would like to hear from you. I want one that can deal with collectibles, A painted mirror, As well as quite a few Islamic items inc a Syrian Antique dagger.

I think Sheffield Forum should consider having an auction site included and make a commission charge for this to help fund the site.

anthonyrodgers@blueyonder.co.uk

I once sold a baby grand piano through Paul Beighton Auctioneers - Just take photographs of the items just before they collect otherwise you have no proof of the condition and they may end up in the saleroom looking a little damaged. I know.

Is Elsecar in Barnsley? the only problem I have is not driving so I was thinking of somewhere a little closer to home. Mind you if they give fair prices I may be better organising some transport, the other thing thats worrying me is getting ripped off because I have no idea what the value of the items is. I have seen tables that look the same as mine selling on traders websites for a few grand. And I don't want to get conned into selling for peanuts if I can have a little more.

Every Wednesday of every month, viewing, and auction Thursday.

• 7 months later...

Archived