Anyone got an MG tf?

wow. i wouldn't go that far! glad you enjoyed it though

No, I'm serious! I've owned faster cars, cars with more prestige and more expensive cars, but for me at that time, nothing came close to the MG.

Lots of folks use MX5's as track day tools. Don't see many F's or TF's on the circuits though.

I think the main reason is that, fan though I am of the TF/F, it is a car built to a budget and to all intents and purposes its cobbled together from different Rover types, unlike the MX5 which was built from the wheels up as a new car (not counting the styling of course).

One such case in point is that the engine mountings were taken from a Rover 200 - a front wheel drive car. This was fine, except that for a rear engine car, the mountings allowed the engine block far too much lateral movement. Anyone who has ever really driven an F/TF will tell you that it's an incredibly difficult car to make 'misbehave' on purpose, but when it does go, it goes all of a sudden with very little warning. Unlike a lot of other rear-wheel drive cars there wasnt the smooth, Top Gear like drift from the back end - it just sort of lurched!

But it all depends on what you want from a car, I 'spose. For me, these failings were part of the cars charm:)

I think its all down to what you like the look of as the mechanical differences probally don´t mean diddly if you know little about cars.To be fair an mx5 will always hold its value better than the mg but you will get a far newer model for the same initial outlay.No dissrepect to willman but as for carcraft KEEP AWAY unless you want to buy something you never concidered for twice as much as its worth...

Well, I went to view a MGtf tonight, and took it for a little spin. It was a sound car and lovely to drive. It definately ticked all the boxes.

It did not though, come without an arguement with the sales man! I asked him if he knew if the car had had a head gasket change, he said he wasn't sure and there's no way of knowing, i then found a reciept in the glove box for £505 for a new gasket! lol.

He then wouldn't give me any figures as i told him i would not be making a decision today. He basically wanted me to buy the car there and then... and this was before the test drive! He actually managed to put me off the car by the end of the conversation.

The search goes on!

Don't let the fact that a MGTF has had it's head gasket changed put you off though. You'd be better getting one with the work done and a decent warranty for the work, than one that hasn't in most cases. Spare parts were never an issue. Mike Satur and Rimmers were either able to get me anything I needed or point me in the direction of other companies that could. I loved my TF, but would never recommend one to anyone though, the build quality is shocking.

As for the MR2 mentioned as an alternative earlier, how could you ever live with one as a first car? The storage space is ridiculous.

I think its all down to what you like the look of as the mechanical differences probally don´t mean diddly if you know little about cars.

I like that comment! I think the mgtf is a lot prettier than the MX5, especially for a female driver like me.

I suppose if i think about how much i've spent on my corsa, which i've had for 6 years from new. Its probably more than i'll spend on having a MG for a few years. BTW i spent £1000 last year on it, and it now needs another £1000 spending on it, hence getting rid of it now.

So the MGtf it is! If you see any decent deals, please let me know.

For all your questions about MGF/TF’s look HERE-> http://forums.mg-rover.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12 this is the best forum for information & they don’t bite.

I changed from an F to a TF about 4 months a ‘go before that I had an MX5 if I’m honest I like all 3 cars.

The reason I bought a MGTF over an MX5, is my new ‘to me’ TF is an 04 plate with only 27,000 miles on the clock & looks like new, for the same price I paid for it I was looking at shabby S reg MX5’s with over 100,000 miles on the clock.

If any of you local (or not so local ) F / TF owners fancy meeting up for runs & weekends away I have organised in the past & planning future meets locally (& further a field) your more than welcome to join us, we even have the odd MX5 in the group. You can find me/us on the above forum, I’m J R and our social group is The Water Waiters ’don’t ask you’ll see why’.

Check-out our most resent meets (on Youtube) below:)

As for the MR2 mentioned as an alternative earlier, how could you ever live with one as a first car? The storage space is ridiculous.

i managed it for a year or so. i suppose it depends on how much space you need to carry stuff

the mgf's boot was more or less useless anyway, because it always got damp and didn't smell very nice (so i'd never use it for clothes or shopping etc anyway). i think it was something to do with condensation coming from the engine and exhaust but i could be wrong. either way, it never got any use

i wouldn't claim to be a sports car expert, but back when i was younger i owned an mgf, followed by a new mr2, and finally an s2000 (in that order). obviously the s2000 is in a different league, but i can tell you from personal experience that the mr2 was a far better car than the mgf

just my opinion of course :)

(but i think the majority of people will agree!... you only have to read the reviews to find out)

Archived