Alcohol should be banned

Is anyone able to give me a convincing argument against the need for a ban of alcoholic beverages?

Teenagers in the UK are more likely than any others to get drunk (Source)which has an established link to our record levels of teenage pregnancy (Source)

Almost 10,000 deaths each year are as a direct result of alcohol, with many more where it's a factor (Source). There are around 15,000 new cases of alcohol related liver disease every year (Source) and it's blamed for many other illnesses, including a recent rise in oral cancers (Source)

Crime levels linked to alcohol are huge, with around 1 million violent assaults each year by people under the influence (Source). One in Six road deaths are due to drunk driving, with over 100,000 drivers per year guilty of this offence (Source).

Throw in the link between unemployment and alcohol (Source) and there's not much to defend it.

There are food additives or pesticides banned because of the most remote links to various illnesses, and there are plenty of other previously legal recreational substances which have later been banned, so who can convince me that there are good reasons not to ban alcohol?

I can only give you the same good reasons for not banning alcohol, which apply equally to revoking the bans on all the other drugs: most of which have to do with the fact that imposing a ban does not work. The USA found that out the hard way in the 1920s, and yet their politicians are still fool enough to try and make it work with heroin and cocaine. It doesn't, and it won't.

Is anyone able to give me a convincing argument against the need for a ban of alcoholic beverages?

yeah...........i drink it :)

but really........would banning it work?

people still take drugs, theyve been illegal decades

did prohibition work in the US? people could still drink and the criminals made lots of money

plus youd get more home made stuff like moonshine etc which can have even more health problems such as blindness

Teenagers in the UK are more likely than any others to get drunk (Source)which has an established link to our record levels of teenage pregnancy (Source)

Almost 10,000 deaths each year are as a direct result of alcohol, with many more where it's a factor (Source). There are around 15,000 new cases of alcohol related liver disease every year (Source) and it's blamed for many other illnesses, including a recent rise in oral cancers (Source)

Crime levels linked to alcohol are huge, with around 1 million violent assaults each year by people under the influence (Source). One in Six road deaths are due to drunk driving, with over 100,000 drivers per year guilty of this offence (Source).

Throw in the link between unemployment and alcohol (Source) and there's not much to defend it.

There are food additives or pesticides banned because of the most remote links to various illnesses, and there are plenty of other previously legal recreational substances which have later been banned, so who can convince me that there are good reasons not to ban alcohol?

Not much to defend it? Are you for real? It's one of the great joys and comforts of human life, it's been a part of human culture for God knows how many thousands of years.

Many of the most beautiful drinks in the world are alcoholic. The drinks industry is a massive employer, and generates staggering amounts of revenue.

Not much to defend it? Are you for real? It's one of the great joys and comforts of human life, it's been a part of human culture for God knows how many thousands of years.

Many of the most beautiful drinks in the world are alcoholic. The drinks industry is a massive employer, and generates staggering amounts of revenue.

None of which is a good reason not to ban it, since we already ban many drugs which exactly the same applies to.

I'm expecting plenty of replies like yours, Mel & HN's.

But I want to see if anyone can actually defend alcohol as being legal if we take the fact that pesticides, drugs and food additives are banned as a reasonable measurement of standards for legality.

Archived