Alcohol should be banned

See above oh sober one.

Lets ban witchcraft.

Yeah cos we all know the abuse that goes on when people get their hands on too much witchcraft. Anyhow - already been attempted several times. Does not work.

And I hate the stupid edit button cos it is so easy to make responses to posts look wrong. I posted before your edit so phnurr!

Yeah cos we all know the abuse that goes on when people get their hands on too much witchcraft. Anyhow - already been attempted several times. Does not work.

And I hate the stupid edit button cos it is so easy to make responses to posts look wrong. I posted before your edit so phnurr!

Are you 12. :hihi:

I was amending as you posted:

Last edited by Zaytsev; Today at 17:57. Reason: Post Blindness

Are you 12. :hihi:

I was amending as you posted:

Last edited by Zaytsev; Today at 17:57. Reason: Post Blindness

Can't you think up something different? Seen you use this so many times it really is boring and not funny at all. :suspect:

What has my age got to do with anything anyhow? Fact is that you edited your post because you DID NOT bother to read previous posts - as you seem quite prone to doing - but then - we all do so not having a go at you for that. Who the hell wants to read through 20 pages of person 1 slagging off person 2 and person 2 slagging off person 1? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

alcohol should not be banned!

what i think is school children should be taught as part of the curriculum the implications or drinking irresponsibly this is not in anyway condoning under age drinking but trust me they will drink with or with out us telling them this stuff. so surely its better that people have an informed choice when making decisions?

I am forced to see the vomit in the streets after too much alcohol has been drunk, and some poor so and so's out there have bled all over from being beaten up by drunks, and the police attending the latest brawl in the town centre cannot attend the burglary next door because of it.

And the piles of discarded food, and their wrapping.

Alcohol is a nasty, vile substance.

If it was first manufactured today (with the ability we now have to test drugs, it would be banned - at least class B - probably class A).

Is anyone able to give me a convincing argument against the need for a ban of alcoholic beverages?

Teenagers in the UK are more likely than any others to get drunk (Source)which has an established link to our record levels of teenage pregnancy (Source)

Almost 10,000 deaths each year are as a direct result of alcohol, with many more where it's a factor (Source). There are around 15,000 new cases of alcohol related liver disease every year (Source) and it's blamed for many other illnesses, including a recent rise in oral cancers (Source)

Crime levels linked to alcohol are huge, with around 1 million violent assaults each year by people under the influence (Source). One in Six road deaths are due to drunk driving, with over 100,000 drivers per year guilty of this offence (Source).

Throw in the link between unemployment and alcohol (Source) and there's not much to defend it.

There are food additives or pesticides banned because of the most remote links to various illnesses, and there are plenty of other previously legal recreational substances which have later been banned, so who can convince me that there are good reasons not to ban alcohol?

Sounds a bit like, all types of motorised vehicle are no longer allowed to use the highways because of the past fatalities. Nonsense.

Sounds a bit like, all types of motorised vehicle are no longer allowed to use the highways because of the past fatalities. Nonsense.

Sorry ruffkru but I totally disagree with you. I am sure that there has been a debate which included banning cars - though it was probably not a serious debate.

Sometimes analogies are pretty useless, and that is one that has been used three times on this single thread and is definitely useless.

Do you undergo expensive and extensive training to drink a pint or ten? Do you have to take a test and get a licence in order to drink? Do you start off your night with full awareness of the risks involved and act accordingly as car drivers tend to do? I could go on but there's not much point if silly analogies are going to be thrown in as arguments for or against.

I think if we liberalised the laws on other drugs, particularly naturally occurring drugs with a long history of relatively safe use (cannabis, alcohol, psilocybin, dmt, coca, khat, nicotine, kava kava, mescaline etc) then we'd see a reduction in alcohol consumption, and a corresponding drop in alcohol related crime and nuisance.

Prohibition of consciousness alteration through banning substances or practices will never work, because people are driven to do it. It's about as feasible as successfully banning sex or eating.

I have a suspicion that this was the point of the OP.

I think if we liberalised the laws on other drugs, particularly naturally occurring drugs with a long history of relatively safe use (cannabis, alcohol, psilocybin, dmt, coca, khat, nicotine, kava kava, mescaline etc) then we'd see a reduction in alcohol consumption, and a corresponding drop in alcohol related crime and nuisance.

Prohibition of consciousness alteration through banning substances or practices will never work, because people are driven to do it. It's about as feasible as successfully banning sex or eating.

I have a suspicion that this was the point of the OP.

Aside from Cannabis I have very little knowledge of the other drugs you list I have to admit. If I want to know anything about them I ask the teenagers around here. They can be very helpful in that way. Cannabis, as I have mentioned before, is not what I consider to be a drug that causes violence in people.

My problem with alcohol is that it does seem to be responsible for a great deal of violence, vandalism, and so on, and the abuse of it seems to be on the increase. Not sure that scrapping the age limit or reducing it will do any good. And as for educating children about it in school - well - then we will have slightly educated drunks instead of uneducated ones, but the end result will likely be the same.

Archived