Alcohol should be banned

I don't have to find something 'right' with behaviour in order to justify not banning it.

It's the other way around.

If you want to argue that it's a problem, then explain why.

I didn't pick up on your opinions, you picked up on mine. I said "I think it'd be great, if it would work." (At no point did I say it would work. Quite the opposite in fact) Don't recall ever using the word problem either.

Why don't you explain why you have such a problem with me thinking a world with no booze would be great?

3) Alcohol in moderation is a suitable drug for the masses in mind numbing jobs and prevents mass suicidal depression.

4) Alcohol makes watching TV slightly less of an ordeal, and thus safeguards hundreds of thousands of 'workers' in the TV industry

5) Alcohol earns tons of money for the exchequer

6) Alcohol keeps the population topped up, without it, there'd be many fewer babies.

Surely these are all reasons why it should be illegal. There's nothing better for killing the creative spark and sense of individuality as alcohol.

Is anyone able to give me a convincing argument against the need for a ban of alcoholic beverages?

Teenagers in the UK are more likely than any others to get drunk (Source)which has an established link to our record levels of teenage pregnancy (Source)

Almost 10,000 deaths each year are as a direct result of alcohol, with many more where it's a factor (Source). There are around 15,000 new cases of alcohol related liver disease every year (Source) and it's blamed for many other illnesses, including a recent rise in oral cancers (Source)

Crime levels linked to alcohol are huge, with around 1 million violent assaults each year by people under the influence (Source). One in Six road deaths are due to drunk driving, with over 100,000 drivers per year guilty of this offence (Source).

Throw in the link between unemployment and alcohol (Source) and there's not much to defend it.

There are food additives or pesticides banned because of the most remote links to various illnesses, and there are plenty of other previously legal recreational substances which have later been banned, so who can convince me that there are good reasons not to ban alcohol?

And while we're at it lets ban all fat and salt content from food because some people eat too much of it and cost the NHS billions so we should all have to eat boring, bland but healthier food.

Also lets ban cars because some people aren't very good drivers and cause accidents.

Some people are not fit to be parents so lets ban everybody from having kids.

And while we're at it lets ban all fat and salt content from food because some people eat too much of it and cost the NHS billions so we should all have to eat boring, bland but healthier food.

Fat and salt are essential for sustaining human life (that's why we like the taste of them so much) by banning them you'd condemn anyone dumb enough to abide by the law to death.

Also there's loads of far from bland food that's extremely healthy.

I didn't pick up on your opinions, you picked up on mine. I said "I think it'd be great, if it would work." (At no point did I say it would work. Quite the opposite in fact) Don't recall ever using the word problem either.

Why don't you explain why you have such a problem with me thinking a world with no booze would be great?

You said it would be good (a ban).

Someone asked you why.

You said 'Behaviour'

I described typical behaviour which you said yes that was a reason to ban drinking.

I asked you why.

You said why not.

Why not is not an answer to why typical drunken behaviour is a reason to ban drinking.

Do you have a problem with typical drunken behaviour as you said you do? If you do, what is it?

I haven't picked you up, I've asked you to explain why the reason you gave is one that supports banning drinking.

And for that matter you could explain why you think it would be great, maybe you don't drink, but why should anyone tell other people (not you now, anyone) what they can and can't do with their own body.

Fat and salt are essential for sustaining human life (that's why we like the taste of them so much) by banning them you'd condemn anyone dumb enough to abide by the law to death.

Also there's loads of far from bland food that's extremely healthy.

I think his point might have been that most things can be abused, but that that isn't a reason to ban them.

Someone asked you why.

You said 'Behaviour'

I described typical behaviour which you said yes that was a reason to ban drinking.

I asked you why.

You said why not.

Why not is not an answer to why typical drunken behaviour is a reason to ban drinking.

Do you have a problem with typical drunken behaviour as you said you do? If you do, what is it?

I haven't picked you up, I've asked you to explain why the reason you gave is one that supports banning drinking.

And for that matter you could explain why you think it would be great, maybe you don't drink, but why should anyone tell other people (not you now, anyone) what they can and can't do with their own body.

I think you both need to have a drink and chill the hell out... :)

No, I said: “I think it'd be great, if it would work.” (I also pointed out, it wouldn’t work)

Someone asked you why.

You said 'Behaviour'

I said many reasons, including behaviour.

I asked you why.

You said why not.

And you didn’t give a reason for your (apparent) preference either.

Why isn’t it?

I never used the word ‘problem’ but even if I had, I wouldn’t need to justify not liking drunken behaviour. I am as entitled to my preferences as everybody else.

I didn’t say anything about supporting banning drinking. I’ve said more than once that banning it wouldn’t work. But you did ask me to justify why I would find a world where booze was banned great (if it would work, which it wouldn’t!!!), yet why do I need to justify a preference? You haven’t justified yours.

Great instead of good, okay, means the same thing though.

Many reasons, "A big one being the way people behave after drinking", with the emphasis being behaviour, which I then followed up on.

My preference? I just described typical behaviour.

Because as I already said, if you think it's a reason to ban something you need to explain why, you can't expect me to explain why not, I haven't said it's not, I've asked you why it is.

You said that drunken behaviour is a reason to ban alcohol, but now you claim you don't think it's a problem? Disingenuous, rather.

And if you think it's a problem that justifies banning something then you do have to explain it, at least if you want it to be taken seriously. Maybe you didn't intend it to be serious?

You didn't say anything about supporting banning drinking

I think it'd be great,

I see, you use the word great in a way that indicates not supporting the idea. Well, I'm glad that's all cleared up.

I didn't ask you to justify why you thought it would be great, I asked you to justify why you thought that the drunken behaviour I described was reason to support a ban. Something you've chosen not to do so far.

I don't think you were serious about the drunken behaviour of the majority being "a big one {reason}" for banning it after all.

Archived