Recent Demolition in Parsons Cross

TheDrib

I used to live at 60 Murdock Rd, Parsons Cross, and attended Southey Green Infant and Junior school back in the 50s. On a recent viewing of this area on Google Earth, I noticed that almost all the houses on Murdock Rd., Launce Rd., Falstaff Rd. and Cres., Symons Cres. etc., have been demolished.

Anyone know why?

TheDrib

I used to live at 60 Murdock Rd, Parsons Cross, and attended Southey Green Infant and Junior school back in the 50s. On a recent viewing of this area on Google Earth, I noticed that almost all the houses on Murdock Rd., Launce Rd., Falstaff Rd. and Cres., Symons Cres. etc., have been demolished.

Anyone know why?

TheDrib

the original plan was to demolish all the old housing stock because it would cost too much to refurbish them & build new houses straight away but as usual sheffield council buggerd up & no new houses are being built be it on behalf of themselves or the private contractors

mh01 - thanks for your reply.

I thought there might be some sinister explanation; accidental death ray or something.... I guess all City Councils are very similar. A Screw-up here and there, what's the difference.

Thanks - Geoff

I lived on Parson Cross in the days when you could leave your doors unlocked and neighbours watched out for other peoples children, this was late forties and late fifties. Since then things have taken several steps backward, and many houses have been vandalised and/or boarded up by the council.

maybe it would be a good idea to demolish the whole of the estate and start again with tennants to be vetted for occupation, this does not reflect on the law abiding citizens who must live party in fear of their dubious neighbours.

Archived