Dilly security firm

colinl59

Yes it was over the top of a golf shop opposite (more or less) the Pheasant pub).

He was a bit of an egoist, I think he had a heart attack while on holiday if my memory serves me right. His wife seemed a nice lass, I think she had been in the Police as well.

i think it was bulldog security he owned plus another named security firm i cant quite remember the head office was at sheffield lane top what a horrible nasty big headed so & so geoff was:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I met Geoff Dilley in 1978 (I think). His firm was called Dilley Security, and I photographed, wrote and designed a four-page colour brochure for them along with some PR work. He had 'found' me because he bought my parents' house in Wickersley, which they in turn had purchased from British Steel when the former United Steels managers' houses were sold to their (renting, peppercorn) executive incumbents.

It was a very high value house - when my father arrived there in 1960 it had a disused open swimming pool, derelict tennis court, empty garden ponds, abandoned chicken shed, overgrown orchard etc in 3 acres on Sledgate Lane. Although he was only renting it, he worked every minute of his free time (when not restoring old cars or building harpsichords!) bringing it back to life, repairing the old pool and covering it with a (no doubt lethal) commercial greenhouse which stopped you getting out except at the ends...

Geoff Dilley had done well enough to buy that. I guess today it would be a £1.5-2m house. He had put thick fitted carpets all over the austere 1920s black and white diamond pattern lino tiled hall floor and created a bar which looked surprisingly like a hotel or pub. He was delighted to show it off to me.

He was actually a very good client to work for; he was open to ideas, including shooting the pictures of his guards at night because it looked more authentic than daytime. He paid promptly too, unlike all too many of my 1970s clients who left me (and other Sheffield businesses) with an annual round of bad debts.

Don't know about Bulldog Security at that time, but I think Geoff referred me to an alarm system supplier called Arrow which he may have been connected with, I did brochure and PR work for them. I remember Dilley and Arrow were both pioneers of direct phone-line connected alarms. He had a superb control centre with a map of Sheffield and every location with a light. From the status of the lights, the operator could see whether staff were on duty, alarms active, alarm triggered - every location was phone linked.

David

• 6 months later...

Geoff Dilley died in about 1992 i seem to recall, he served 9 months in Durham prison for shattering a prisoners jaw, after the prisoner had hit him. He was a giant of a man and as hard as nails, old school, fists only, he had been a talented boxer in his time. In the teddy boy days, he and and another young copper Dick Holland ( of Ripper Squad fame) would patrol Huddersfield Town centre on a Saturday night with a rod of iron and any misbehaviours knew what they would get !

After his prison sentence he channelled his aggression in to business and was very very sucessful in the security business. He had a brother Pete who had a similarly short fuse who was in the Motor Trade and was another one not to get on the wrong side of but a Gent if you were on his right side.

Geoffs son Julian is still in the security business but on a much smaller scale, he's out Rotherham way now I think, his Mother Kath was also a copper in her day, a really lovely woman too.

Archived