Lindsay Road Junior & infants school

yes Alan i went to Hartley Beook ,and it was the 73 ,and then the 65 ,which just got you in if we ran you up the cart road ,and i had to run along Thorncliffe lane ,and as long as the Barnsley bus was,nt late we could just about clock in for 7,33.

i dont think any of my clock cards had pre 7.30 on them,always late!everybody in the shop knew you was late,they used to bang on the partitionng with their hammers which alerted the foreman to give me a bollocking,i think he got fed up in the end.ALAN.

• 10 months later...

hi does anyone remember me,ALAN HARDY i was at lindsay school from nursery,1951 to juniors 1957.lived on lyndsay ave opp.lindsay rd,then went to southey.brother trevor and sister anita went there too.i have photos of maypole dancing and may queen,ithink its joyce simmonite,good looker anyway.e.mail address supplied if needed.good old lindsay rd youth club.

----------------------------

Hello Alan & all,

I don't know how i missed your posting and a few more that followed,

sorry. You must have lived near to the chimney sweep, lovely man, lovely family, his son was in my sister's class, a few years older than me. I knew Pat Simmonite ( I think ) from the youth club days. The girls were certainly gorgeous as all the boys have commented :) Don't know if you know this but their Mum had a flower shop in the market hall and my family always bought flowers from her for funerals etc.

My family friend Mick Smallwood who some of you would know from the

youth club told me a story about one of the Simmonite girls riding down

from Stannington I think all the way to town on her scooter.

I'd love to see your photos of May Day (my favourite part of the school year) and any other school photos.

Does anyone else have any more Lindsay Rd School photos?

A few years ago one of the girls who was in my class (finally) told me that she and another of the girls in our class had been in Mr. Crossley's rounders team at Darnall, that was news to me.

So Brian, it wasn't just you who had the privilege of carrying Mr. Crossley's

bag to the Lane Top ! :)

My sister told me The Pheasant Inn is now empty and boarded up. The inn

has been there for many years, it was probably a coaching inn in the old

days before public transport. It once hosted Lily Langtree, who was a

close friend of the King.

I was very happy to see lots of old Shiregreen photos are now part of the collection on line at the Sheffield Library, courtesy of Brian Woodriff who

has written books about Shiregreen and the area.

Thank you

sheffsueme

---------------------------------------------

• 2 years later...
hi ya jowhitmil i did know about your dad .somebody read a post i had put on about when i went to Lindsy R, sch.i dont remember who but it was someone who new you ,glad to here that eddy wittles is still,going on ok ,i used to go to thier house and play records .i will get this school photo copied and if you send me your address i will get it to you, i remember your moms name but i dont think our paths crossed ,take care ,L,Bri,XX

Hi there.I only found this forum today .But was nice to share it with my mum.

My uncle is Ted Whittles and my mum is his older sister Barbara.They also had an older sister called Ada.

I know they went to Lindsay Rd & Hartley Brook .

And I remember my mum mentioning Doris Akers & Jean Pearson as friends when she was young

Edited by Donzi
Meant to send as a message but not sure how

• 3 months later...

hi all, i attended lindsay rd infants & juniors from approx 1949 to 1954, i lived on lindsay ave 1st house below shops, just wondered how some of my teenage

pals were doing. Ken renshaw-alan webster-pete shaw-roy saterthwaite-jimmy lee, there was also a skoley and a hobson. i was sorry to hear of the death of Brian milton, a lovely guy, did his wife maureen survive brian? remember ted whittles when he ran the juniors football team. ( great days ) i have lived in filey for 14yrs, and last week had to go to sheffield, and decided to have a nostalgic run round, went down lindsay ave onto hartley brook rd and down lower shiregreen. oh dear, whats happened ? it all looked uncared for and run down ( sad ) still, i have fond memories of the area and the people.

any info would be much appreciated THANKS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello i went to lindsay infants from 1946-51 i remember miss edge mr hartley ect, alan hardy was anitas brother, i was in same class ad her at hartley brook and sat at her side in the 2 seater desks, i remember her well as she used to stick pins in me, happy days her brother trevor used to be pals with bobby knutt who lived at bottom of lindsay road , we all went to the youth club from that area, i lived on deerlands also joyce simmonite was in our class at hartley brook we used to walk home with her from school along deerlands, i dont think pat and lillian were her sisters i think they were her cousins, my pals were Alan webster pete shaw and plough bates, in them days also roger baily who played guitar in the group questors, remember them times well, bill justice

I lived opposite the Simmonites on Deerlands Ave. Names Pauline Lillian and Joyce. Lillians husband worked at Sheffield Brick company Rutland Road in the quarry. He had a terrible accident crippling him for life. I worked at SBC at the same time.

William30 do you remember my late sister Yvonne Fothergill? We lived at 200 Deerlands Ave. Me and my friends were friendly with Bobby Knutt ( not his real name )

Hya black hill I don't remember yvonne we lived at 130 deerlands just past 8foot bob wass knutt lived at bottom of lindsay road we used to take him to lath Kildale pub at weekends Graham youle had a ford zephyr with me roger baily and bob sguashed in we lived near ron and roy hawksworth roy sung with deputies I don't remember lillian & pauline only joyce as she was in our class at hartley brook i think pat was her cousin who lived on buchanan road she used to go to lindsay road youth club i still live in area cliffe house road just off elm lane when i lived at wincobank standon crescent our next door neighbour was called Fothergill richard he used to keep the timbertop pub for a while dont know if you are related all the best bill