Has anyone ever lived in Derby?

My oh`s originally from Derby(so it can`t be that bad;)), was a very long time ago tho so the last time we went it had changed loads.

seems a lot like sheffield. sorry I can`t help you anymore than that.

hope you find somewhere nice wherever you decide to settle x

I've never felt quite "at home" even though I've lived here 17 years. All my family are still south apart from Mum and Dad.

Anyway thats another thread :D

I don't think you ever really feel 'at home' when you leave your heartland, especially if you were very happy there. I love Sheffield and everything about it with a passion, but I also really like being in London and sometimes I wish I'd never left it.

But it's really wanting to be nearer my family as they will never be coming North, and at same time wanting to be within reach of both Sheffield and London.

I'm originally from Derby, and spent most of my formative years in and around the area. Like most cities, it has its good and bad bits, but the city itself has been vastly improved in the past few years, its less than an hour to Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham, which have very good and frequent rail services.. and the commute to London isnt too bad either.

As far as theatre, Derby has a couple of smaller venues, which are both quite nice and the Assembly halls, but they dont tend to get any of the major shows.. but being so close to Nottingham and Birmingham gives a lot more choice....

I'm originally from Derby, and spent most of my formative years in and around the area. Like most cities, it has its good and bad bits, but the city itself has been vastly improved in the past few years, its less than an hour to Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham, which have very good and frequent rail services.. and the commute to London isnt too bad either.

As far as theatre, Derby has a couple of smaller venues, which are both quite nice and the Assembly halls, but they dont tend to get any of the major shows.. but being so close to Nottingham and Birmingham gives a lot more choice....

What areas would you recommend to settle in? I realise it's smaller than Sheffield, and maybe doesn't have so many distinct areas but I've never been there, just passed through on the train.

It probably has as many distinct areas as Sheffield, they are all just a little bit smaller, and on the whole a little bit closer together. most of the nicer areas to live are a short bus trip or drive into town, but ideally I'd look at Allestree, Mickleover and Littleover... Other places to consider a little further out are Spondon ( though its very handy for the M1 ) and Alvaston. Id probably only try to avoid Normanton, Sinfin, and Chaddesden.

Awww! feeling homesick and like an exile? *hug*

Sheffield is my home really, but that doesn't stop me from wish-wishing that it was quicker to get to Central London from here! My family's there and I'd visit more often if it was only an hour's drive instead of two or more :D

Hence Derby or maybe even Leicester ... oooh! Leicster, it's so cheap!! w bed terrace, £55k, wow!

You could hook up with Jabbers!:D

Archived