Crown green bowling in sheffield

Did it for many years until a few years ago (did my street cred so much good! :lol: )

Very underated game though which has a stigma attached to it because of the age that many people play it. I read in the star that they've also banned people from wearing jeans on the greens. Massive mistake and it'd stop me from returning

Game is also struggling and clubs folding due to vandalism by kids on the greens

I have played in a team since I was ten . Unfortunately bowling is a dying sport with not many younger people taking it up.

There are still plenty of teams around and the standard is very high in the top two divisions (dont worry if you are a beginner the lower leagues are less competative).

If you are interseted in playing pop down to Laycocks on Archer Road one Saturday afternoon and ask about it. Even if you dont like the bowling the beer is excellent!!

Jeans are only banned in certain competritions not for league or cup games

• 5 years later...
Is anyone a member of acrown green bowling club? Now seems the weather for it! Always fancied giving it a go.

Fine game and very aminable people who pay the game ,Depends where you live Leagues played monday nights Tuesday night Veterans play wed afternoons Friday afternoons and then there are several saturday leagues,Not foretting the faire sex who play wednesday nights thuesday aftrnoons ?GIVE IT A GO AND GET FIT WHILE ENJOYING YOURSELF

The sport is very well organised and widely played in the City. The best thing to do is have a look locally when the greens open in April and have a chat to who ever you find there.

There are parks greens (e.g. Hollinsend mentioned earlier) and private greens (e.g. Meersbrook Bowling Club or the Hellfire Club as a previous poster alluded to).

There is a dress code for properly organised matches (as with any sport and quite right too) but you can bowl for pleasure in casual clothes provided yoiu are wearing sensible footwear so as not to damage the green.

Nether Edge BC is currently hosting a floodlit mini-league on Monday evenings, if anyone wants to come down and have a look. Completely different game from daylight bowls! Nice pint of Abbeydale Moonshine afterwards!

Flat shoes are required, trainers are good. At Nether Edge, there are woods that can be borrowed, so this is one sport that does not require any outlay! £2.50 green fees.

Archived