Old public convenience at Nether Green..tram termius?

grace h

Does anyone have any information on when and why the Public Toilet was built in Nether Green. It is between the Rising Sun Pub and Nether Green School.

I have checked the original school architect's drawings but there is no sign of it. However, a passer-by mentioned that is was originally built for the tram drivers...

Could anyone confirm this and if this is the case, any tips on how to I find original drawings?

It might explain why the original was only a single cubicle and urinal area (open air). The ladies facility was very clumsy, later modification.

Interesting.

It's worth pointing out that whenever you find an old photo of a tram terminus there is usually a public convenience visible in the background. One such that springs to mind in the Heavygate Road terminus at the end of Crookes and there must be many others.

I always assumed these particular toilets at Nethergreen were built at the same time as Nethergreen School - the stonework appears to be a continuum of that school's boundary walls. When was the school built and did trams operate as far as Nethergreen at that time? When did the line go electric? Were the toilets built then?

This picture taken c. 1900 clearly shows the toilet block: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s00107.jpg

I shall watch this thread with interest.

It is funny how in the past urinals and toilets were dotted right across the city, but nowadays most of them are bricked up or locked up.

I wonder if it is because 40 or 50 years ago it was quite common for working class men to walk long distances to work or elsewhere if they didn't have tram or bus money.

Interesting.

I always assumed these particular toilets at Nethergreen were built at the same time as Nethergreen School - the stonework appears to be a continuum of that school's boundary walls. When was the school built and did trams operate as far as Nethergreen at that time? When did the line go electric? Were the toilets built then?

This picture taken c. clearly shows the toilet block:

Thank you for that picture...it looks so different now!

The school was first built in 1904 (architects Holmes & Watson) and then enlarged in 1908-9 (architect AF Watson). The Archive Library had the original drawing but if it was part of the development, then it was considered too insignificant to put on the drawings.

It is funny how in the past urinals and toilets were dotted right across the city, but nowadays most of them are bricked up or locked up.

This one is beautiful as well...a real little gem - the attention to detail is astonishing; the curved glazed bricks inside, the shaped stones on the top of the walls, the interface between the glazed brick and stone...lovely!

What amazes me is how invisible this type of building is.

This one is beautiful as well...a real little gem - the attention to detail is astonishing; the curved glazed bricks inside, the shaped stones on the top of the walls, the interface between the glazed brick and stone...lovely!

What amazes me is how invisible this type of building is.

The last time I used such a place must have been in the mid-eighties and sadly the place was well run down by then and stunk awful!

But yes, there were the curved glazed bricks (were they green or orange?) and all I can say is that whoever built them took pride in their work.

It's a disgrace that buildings like this - and yes, they are buildings - are either blocked-up, disused or have been demolished by a council that can't be bothered to look after them.

I applaud the efforts of the current business-people in converting this building into something which will, if nothing else, ensure it remains a central part of Nethergreen and its history.

I think the problem is that old toilets do cost quite a lot overall in maintenance, plus it doesn't take much for annoying nimbys to campaign for closure of such a toilet facility if there is even the slightest rumour of cottaging or drug use.

On another note, the old public toilet next to the Broadfield Pub on Abbeydale road has recently been renevated and is now available for rent as a kiosk. It has roller shutter door and window and newly plastered interior and electrics.

This one is built into the playground wall of a junior school as well.

I applaud the efforts of the current business-people in converting this building into something which will, if nothing else, ensure it remains a central part of Nethergreen and its history.

Thank you, that would be be me!

I was really pleased that I managed to save the entire building and just work around it.

(...and you were right, the glaze is a burnt orange :))

Interesting.

It's worth pointing out that whenever you find an old photo of a tram terminus there is usually a public convenience visible in the background. One such that springs to mind in the Heavygate Road terminus at the end of Crookes and there must be many others.

This picture taken c. 1900 clearly shows the toilet block: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s00107.jpg

Could be my old eyes, but I cannnot see any sign of tramlines on this picture, unless the terminus was slightly lower at the bottom of Tom lane.

Archived