Old public convenience at Nether Green..tram termius?

grace h

...There also looked like there was a line through Broomhill to Nethergreen. Do you happen to have opening dates for that too?
This would be the 'Fulwood via Broomhill' route, for which opening dates for the various sections are given as:

..25 March 1901.....Winter Street to Manchester Road

..1 August 1901......Manchester Road to Ranmoor P.O.

..12 October 1901...Ranmoor P.O. to Storth Lane

..12 July 1923...... ..Storth Lane to Canterbury Avenue

Ranmoor Post Office was just past Ranmoor Church.

A little dig in the library yesterday revealed that the last bit of the tram line up to Nethergreen, was opened on Oct 14 1901.

As yet, no comfirmation of a connection between the tram company and the toilet.

Unless iam going mad& getting my dates mixed up by 1901 the trams were no longer company owned they were run by the council

The Sheffield Tramway Company's lease on the routes ended on 10 July 1896 when the Corporation took over, having received parliamentary powers to operate the tramways and to use electric power. The Tramway Company's manager, Henry A. Mallyion (1852-1927) became the Corporation's first General Manager.

Hi Daisy2,

You can just come on in and say hi...but I'm also hoping to be part of the Open Studio program next year.

I'm wanting to put a display in the window as soon as possible because everyone is so interested in what it might be. My favourite overheard suggestion was that maybe the scaffolding was permanant and it was going to be a Modern Art Pole Dancing establishment!:D

Several of the old public toilets appear to be being turned into sandwich shops. The one at Crosspool and the one opposite the Hallamshire Hosp. come to mind

I don't care how well they've been scrubbed, I just don't fancy their sarnies. :-p

The one opposite the Hallamshire was a nice little "cottage".....as was many of the now disused public toilets. :hihi:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Does anyone have any information on when and why the Public Toilet was built in Nether Green. It is between the Rising Sun Pub and Nether Green School.

I have checked the original school architect's drawings but there is no sign of it. However, a passer-by mentioned that is was originally built for the tram drivers...

Could anyone confirm this and if this is the case, any tips on how to I find original drawings?

It might explain why the original was only a single cubicle and urinal area (open air). The ladies facility was very clumsy, later modification.

I found an interesting picture whilst searching for something else. I'm not very good at pasting in addresses but here goes:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=y01533

Alternatively go to the Sheffield Library Services: Picture y01533

It shows an outdoor science lesson in the grounds of Nethergreen School. Clearly in the background is the back of the urinal building in question.

Archived