Traditional cooking V Fast food takeaways

I honestly believe that the art of traditional cooking is fast fading into the oblivion, with the amount of choice being offered by fast food takeaways and restaurants, supermarkets and pubs etc.

Young families seem to be going out more and more for meals not cooking meals, especially the traditional Sunday dinner.

Instead of the traditional Sunday lunch it seems far easier and cheaper for people to go out and eat, but is the art of cooking fast fading.

Some young families now seem to be living on fast food take aways, and fish and chips, and the only substantial meal that some kids have is when they are at school, sandwiches also seem to be the norm.

Not only that I'm sure some young mothers/fathers have no idea whatsoever how to cook a meal, even the supermarkets are providing oven ready and micro wave meals, and food that just requires heating up before serving.

Are we becoming a nation that is being spoon fed by all these fast food takeaways and the big commercial supermarkets.

Are there many of you out there who love to cook, or prefer fast food?

Personally I can't boil water without burning it.

Take care

I do all the cooking in our household and I can't remember the last time we had a take away or a ready meal.I made a chicken and chick pea curry this evening for tea and it's pizza tomorrow,homemade of course.We have the traditional Sunday roast every other week and I make my Yorkshire Puddings from scratch as well.My wife says it's like living with Jamie Oliver and I'm better looking

I think you have a point it is a bit concerning that school meals seem to be the only opportunity some children get to eat a meal. Also for many of our children the basic skills of cooking and understanding what is in what we eat appears alien.

It's a real shame everytime we have a takeaway we feel dissapointed or concerned of it's content. I think parents need to try and explore cooking with their children and enjoy trying new things and enjoy cooking. It's really hard though with the demands of modern day living with working parents, for those whose don't there's not much excuse though.

My kids always enjoy their food loads more when they have played a part in making/cooking it. I hope we arn't turning into the states:(

I blame the education department who took useful serious cookery lessons off the national curriculum. I also think mum's having to work and feeling too harrassed to cook doesn't help.

I cook from scratch every day and always bake my own cookies every weekend. Home made food is a good way to get a balanced diet. When my kids hated carrots I mixed them in with mashed potatoes and they loved them.

The ability to cook decent food at home is an essential life skill in my opinion. I'm not talking gourmet here, but good, wholesome stuff.

We've also got to the point, because we cook the vast majority of the time at home, that we are also often disapointed with the odd takeaway when we do have one. We're just very aware of the amount of rubbish that goes into them, which is a shame, because they don't need to be like that...

I do all the cooking in our household and I can't remember the last time we had a take away or a ready meal.I made a chicken and chick pea curry this evening for tea and it's pizza tomorrow,homemade of course.We have the traditional Sunday roast every other week and I make my Yorkshire Puddings from scratch as well.My wife says it's like living with Jamie Oliver and I'm better looking

I do all the cooking in our house, but we do still go out for the odd meal and the occasional take away - partly down to laziness, but also because going to a restaurant is part of our daughter's education (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :D).

I tend to make a lot of freezable stuff.

I think its very important to teach kids how to cook. Ours is still too young to do much beyond flapjack, fairy cakes, pizzas and chocolate corn flakes - but I will make sure she learns more as she gets older. The sooner she can cook tea for me and Mrs Sundae, the better.

The ability to cook decent food at home is an essential life skill in my opinion. I'm not talking gourmet here, but good, wholesome stuff.

We've also got to the point, because we cook the vast majority of the time at home, that we are also often disapointed with the odd takeaway when we do have one. We're just very aware of the amount of rubbish that goes into them, which is a shame, because they don't need to be like that...

I could'nt agree more perplexed,I was totally put off my local Chinese take away when I saw the owner coming out of Netto with a trolley full of cheap meat and cooking oil.

I blame the education department who took useful serious cookery lessons off the national curriculum. I also think mum's having to work and feeling too harrassed to cook doesn't help.

I cook from scratch every day and always bake my own cookies every weekend. Home made food is a good way to get a balanced diet. When my kids hated carrots I mixed them in with mashed potatoes and they loved them.

Re the bit I've emboldened:

Our daughter will eat brocoli, carrots or peas, which isn't too bad, but refuses pretty much any other vegetable. When I do chilli, bologaise sauce or cottage pie I sneak in loads of extra vegetables (various sorts of bean, lentils, mushrooms, onions, parsnip, tomatoes - in fact anything that's cheap at the time). She eats the lot - and she thinks she's being "good" by eating the brocoli I serve with it.

I was brought up in kid's home's a lot of my life so had to do my own cooking, im glad of it now cause i reckon im a great cook, nowt wrong with a good old chinese though, i think it's just cheaper to order out becasue there's that many different ingrediants in a lot of food people order what they can't get hold of so it understandable really, not only that it's not cheap to cook at home these day's if you want a good old home cooked meal.

Gas, Electric, cooking oil, etc etc all add to the growing price of munching at home.

Archived