Wedding murders in Dore Sheffield

My late Grandad knew the Laitner family, I never really knew how, but assume it was through business.

It is a difficult choice, execute the guilty, which gives closure to the victims family, but gives the criminal a quick exit, or leave them in jail, with no chance of getting out, but still here, breathing air and eating food that could be put to better use.

I also knew Basil Laitner through business,and I believe Basils brother would not have to live so much of a nightmare if Hutchinson had been executed!...........long term imprisonment where a person rots is medieval in the extreme.Give a sense of closure to those left behind,which will never come while a murderer is still alive.the world would be a better place if Hutchinson and his ilk had gone years ago.Relatives would find it easier to forget and not be tortured over and over by stories like this.

Whilst I can sympathize with that point of view to an extent I still don't believe in the death penalty.

Too many innocent people have been wrongly killed by the state in the past and many more would have died since had it been retained.

Imagine that last walk knowing that you are innocent and that your country is about to murder you.

Let him rot where he is.

...Too many innocent people have been wrongly killed by the state in the past and many more would have died since had it been retained...
Quite right. Hutchinson certainly deserved to hang and the same applies to a lot more, but it would be too dangerous to bring back the death penalty (see my post #58 on Page 3 regarding Timothy Evans who was totally innocent but was hanged). Posthumous pardons are of no use to anyone.

Quite right. Hutchinson certainly deserved to hang and the same applies to a lot more, but it would be too dangerous to bring back the death penalty (see my post #58 on Page 3 regarding Timothy Evans who was totally innocent but was hanged). Posthumous pardons are of no use to anyone.

Yes Mr. H you're right, the Timothy Evans case the paradox of these sort of things, not forgetting he Derek Bentley-Christopher Craig fiasco and James Hanratty, I don't think they were sure about that case either and as for the Train Robber's , the authorities would ave 'topped' them too (especially Reynolds) if they could have got away with it, offences against the Crown and all that.

Of course Hutchinson deserved to hang as Hillsboro wrote, but the death penalty was correctly abolished in the 1960s. Another point is that juries were sometimes reluctant to convict, knowing that there was only one penalty. So quite apart from the innocent people who were hanged - as certainly was the case with Evans in 1950 - the opposite happened and some murderers were acquitted, because a clever defence lawyer had put enough doubt in the jury's minds to acquit the defendant. So we shouldn't bring back the death penalty. In any case - let's face it - it isn't going to happen.

• 1 month later...
Was this the person who bit into a piece of cheese in the fridge and the police proved he was in the house by analysing the teeth prints ?

That's him, and his rare blood group matched blood at the murder venue that was not that of the victims, this being prior to DNA fingerprinting.