Research for new bar opening in Sheffield

I work for a theme bar/pub chain which is looking to expand into the UK.

We already have a number of similar bars in Europe & the US.

Obviously the product we use in other countries wont meet the needs of the Sheffield public so Im trying to find out what peoples opinions are and you have any ideas which will help us suit your needs.

The concept is a cheap pre-club bar aimed at students, no enterance fee, cheap drinks, etc.

We also provide a 'open mike' system allowing new & amature DJ's the opportunity to play their music in small sets.

This 'open mike' is out main feature has helped build up support for people who have gone on to be world-class DJs.

If you were looking for a niche market....a good gay bar would go down a storm....as you can see from this forum there isnt one in sheff!

Failing that cheap drinks will get the students in....but make sure there is some hand pulled bitter for some credibility and to widen your appeal.............

I think you'd have to be clear of your market - there's already plenty of chain bars directly aimed at students such as the Scream & Varsity brands. To be honest I cannot see people who go there being really bothered about who's DJing as long as theres good cheesy music to get ****** to.

The places where people might pay a bit more attention to the Djs tend to be either places with a specific night on like the Forum or Tapakuna or smaller student friendly pubs just outside of town like Dulo, the Vine and the Lescar that ofetn have DJs playing - and these would probably get very different crowds to the chain student bars.

The only thing sheffileld lacks is a traditional pub with a small bar in the corridor and lots of seperate rooms with doors which shut. Spit and sawdust floor etc, cheapish cask ales, and a mucky room at the back with a couple of pool tables, and a gig room upstairs, there are not enough small live venues.

Whatever you are thinking of, forget single large square room with loud music on all the time.There are already hundreds of those and we are sick of them.

Originally posted by muddycoffee

The only thing sheffileld lacks is a traditional pub with a small bar in the corridor and lots of seperate rooms with doors which shut. Spit and sawdust floor etc, cheapish cask ales, and a mucky room at the back with a couple of pool tables, and a gig room upstairs, there are not enough small live venues.

Whatever you are thinking of, forget single large square room with loud music on all the time.There are already hundreds of those and we are sick of them.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For sure. I'd love somewhere like this in Sheffield, traditional pub grub too! Freshly cooked, shephards pie, lasagne, burgers, with big fatty fried chips and plenty of salad. Big portions, and cheap too.

If anybody ever comes up North Yorkshire way, be sure to check out The Falcon in Hilton, or The Shorthorne Inn at Appleton Whiske, both fantastic little pubs!

I don't believe any company would seriously waste their time researching what sort of pub to open if it's geared towards students. Students are renowned for drinking anywhere and don't give a hoot to decor or music, the ale price may slow them down a bit but usually not by much.

I'd like to see a few more pubs without deafening sound systems and more than one room so hopefully you can get to the bar.

Originally posted by WallBuilder

I don't believe any company would seriously waste their time researching what sort of pub to open if it's geared towards students. Students are renowned for drinking anywhere and don't give a hoot to decor or music, the ale price may slow them down a bit but usually not by much.

I'd like to see a few more pubs without deafening sound systems and more than one room so hopefully you can get to the bar.

Somewhere you could just chill for a quiet drink would be awesome! There's not really anywhere you can just sit and chat with your mates!

Archived