School uniform rules gone mad!!

its unfair on those with a low income,thats why i think they should recieve some help, its not just those that are unemployed (be it there own fault or not) but the normal working class folk who work all week for very little reward,they cant always afford it never mind buying it to exact styles

(sorry to take your quote out of context but...)

This is my point, today we are all struggling more and more and it seems this year they have chosen to tighten there belts on this uniform lark when people are most stretched. I can only think the only logical explanation is that by doing this at this time that people on low incomes would have kids in some way more equal by there not been a big devide with kids with designer clothes and tho's not being able to afford them, and that this in some way would in turn keep the crime rate lower as low income kids wont want to steal money ect to be equal but this if is the case is a more broader social issue than just sticking the burden on the worst off by enforcing stringent dress codes. never has there been a time when dress codes have been more far off in the thoughts of families on the breadline.

I dont know what logic these nut job think tank fools are using but they should get off there stupidly high salaries and get out in the real world.

im all for the uniform dont get me wrong, its how strict they are with trousers thats getting to a lot of people, theyre getting trousers its the style thats the problem. £150 isnt a problem to me but it is to quite a lot of people, this is where its unfair on those with a low income,thats why i think they should recieve some help, its not just those that are unemployed (be it there own fault or not) but the normal working class folk who work all week for very little reward,they cant always afford it never mind buying it to exact styles

bold, I know mh, that's why I'm discussing, rather than arguing. :)

I've had a look through the thread now, and can't find any reference to anything where the school actually issues a dress code. How is this done?

Does the school provide a written dress code, that mentions the particulars of the OP?

There are two arguments there. Aren't financially capable if providing for their children, and learning difficulties.

The first I'll just never agree with. If someone isn't financially capable of providing for their children, then they shouldn't have had more than they can afford. (I bet that'll be a popular comment :hihi:)

I'll justify that with mh's post about 150 pounds. I think that's a reasonable amount of money for a years clothing. That's about the cost of one pint of beer per week.

The second. If someone has a recognised condition of illiteracy, then providing they can still think for themselves, they can ask someone. That's what I do when I don't understand something. :)

Litracy or not was not a point I was trying to make but as I was making a list of things I could think of that could possibly make one miss out an item of school clothing I thought I should add it.

As you have a right to argue people should not have kids they cannot finacialy provide for I would say that people dont know the future, no one can, and one job does not provide or is around for ones life time so people have kids at the time when they are best off. In the current climate some people are struggling, some people are out of work, some are even mentaly ill with the prospects of what they have to face. You cannot judge people in a whole encomsant way (have I spelt that right :D ). everyones circomstances are different, and thats why Im against thist strictness on policey at this time.

I cannot beleve that after years of some schools not even having a dress code they are now hell bent on kids having black or white soled plimsoles or having a crease down the front of the trousers or the right colour shade of black.

Its ridiculas where this lot is going and will only blow up in the educations authorities faces if people cannot live up to it.

bold, I know mh, that's why I'm discussing, rather than arguing. :)

I've had a look through the thread now, and can't find any reference to anything where the school actually issues a dress code. How is this done?

Does the school provide a written dress code, that mentions the particulars of the OP?

most schools or all issue a dress code the upper clothing with the school logo on isnt really a problem apart from 1 or 2 minor hiccups. the problem is trousers, a lads been sent home today cos his trousers didnt have a crease down the front (his parents were at work & wernt informed by school he'd been sent home)(thats another story) then at my daughters school lads have been sent home because there black trousers have a small pocket on the back of them (school states only front pockets allowed) girls arnt allowed any pockets at all on there trousers, the problem some of us have had is we cant find either the right style or the right size with or without small pockets be it at the front or back. why are boys allowed front pockets & girls arnt? thats discrimination to me, after 6 & half weeks weve managed to get our daughter the correct style without pockets at a much larger cost than is reasonable i might add but also she has some trousers which have very small pockets in them at the front & some are being sent home cos of this, now since when has small pocket which is rarely visible cos the jumper covers it been a problem, its pathetic & discriminate, you would think they would be slightjly flexible as regards pockets so long as the trousers are black & not in cobat/sports styles etc lots have gone to school in smart clothes then been sent home & not allowed back until the proper style has been bought now if your on a low income your unlikely to get a refund on what youve bought ||& now got to go out buy new trousers all over again which is why some people cannot afford them now on top of the stuff i had to buy off school it cost me another £60 for 2 pair of trousers that we eventually managed to find si iv spent over £200 on uniform, a lot cant afford it on low incomes especially when theres more than 1 kid to pay for, i dont think most parents thought when they had kids that theyd have to spend a small fortune just for uniforms

most schools or all issue a dress code the upper clothing with the school logo on isnt really a problem apart from 1 or 2 minor hiccups. the problem is trousers, a lads been sent home today cos his trousers didnt have a crease down the front (his parents were at work & wernt informed by school he'd been sent home)(thats another story) then at my daughters school lads have been sent home because there black trousers have a small pocket on the back of them (school states only front pockets allowed) girls arnt allowed any pockets at all on there trousers, the problem some of us have had is we cant find either the right style or the right size with or without small pockets be it at the front or back. why are boys allowed front pockets & girls arnt? thats discrimination to me, after 6 & half weeks weve managed to get our daughter the correct style without pockets at a much larger cost than is reasonable i might add but also she has some trousers which have very small pockets in them at the front & some are being sent home cos of this, now since when has small pocket which is rarely visible cos the jumper covers it been a problem, its pathetic & discriminate, you would think they would be slightjly flexible as regards pockets so long as the trousers are black & not in cobat/sports styles etc lots have gone to school in smart clothes then been sent home & not allowed back until the proper style has been bought now if your on a low income your unlikely to get a refund on what youve bought ||& now got to go out buy new trousers all over again which is why some people cannot afford them now on top of the stuff i had to buy off school it cost me another £60 for 2 pair of trousers that we eventually managed to find si iv spent over £200 on uniform, a lot cant afford it on low incomes especially when theres more than 1 kid to pay for, i dont think most parents thought when they had kids that theyd have to spend a small fortune just for uniforms

Here here ! exactly.

Whether it's a good or bad thing, or reasonable or not. The bold answers my question. The school stated something, and it was not adhered to.

Sending someone home for such a minor infringement seems a little excessive though, as I said earlier. :)

i know of 1 family who have four children, there dad was on a good wage till they laid him off a few week ago now he's got£600 plus to pay for his kids uniforms not including all footwear, so his wifes been trailing allover for the last 7 week trying to get the exact size/style etc all 3 of there girls are of different age/size etc so they happened to get most trousers to fit in the right style etc but with 1 or 2 pairs with tiny black pockets at the front, again covered by the jumper but if the school sees these pockets and no doubt will at some stage during school then will no doubt see home. if & when my daughter wears hers & gets sent home,she's staying at home until i decide in my own time on a day i can afford to start trouser hunting again before i send her back to school imcertainly not going round 20 plus shops when the trouser we have are very smart already pocket or not. the mate i mentioned above has a lad at another school with similar rules & yet again shelled out a fortunewhich i think he's now in debt for because uniform policy & being on a very low income, whats he suppose to do?

Litracy or not was not a point I was trying to make but as I was making a list of things I could think of that could possibly make one miss out an item of school clothing I thought I should add it.

You mentioned it, so I answered. That's all :).

As you have a right to argue people should not have kids they cannot finacialy provide for I would say that people dont know the future, no one can, and one job does not provide or is around for ones life time so people have kids at the time when they are best off. In the current climate some people are struggling, some people are out of work,

People have always struggled. Do you think 3 pounds a week for a child is a lot? Do you think if (as when I was at school) the rules were relaxed, that children would fair better, when faced with the embarrassment of wearing cheap clothes, whilst all the in crowd are wearing designer gear?

some are even mentaly ill with the prospects of what they have to face. You cannot judge people in a whole encomsant way (have I spelt that right :D ). everyones circomstances are different, and thats why Im against thist strictness on policey at this time.

I don't know whether you've spelt it right. I use a spell checker as I can't spell that well :hihi:

I'm not judging people I don't think. I'm using reason and logic. And bringing mentally ill into the discussion seems almost mental in itself. The mentally ill are living far better and deserved lives than past generations.

Its ridiculas where this lot is going and will only blow up in the educations authorities faces if people cannot live up to it.

You know?, the way I see things... it's just such things as this discussion that mean we will head towards a draconian society. No one will think for themselves. And in fact, we are allowing it, by blaming others! :|

i know of 1 family who have four children, there dad was on a good wage till they laid him off a few week ago now he's got£600 plus to pay for his kids uniforms not including all footwear, so his wifes been trailing allover for the last 7 week trying to get the exact size/style etc all 3 of there girls are of different age/size etc so they happened to get most trousers to fit in the right style etc but with 1 or 2 pairs with tiny black pockets at the front, again covered by the jumper but if the school sees these pockets and no doubt will at some stage during school then will no doubt see home. if & when my daughter wears hers & gets sent home,she's staying at home until i decide in my own time on a day i can afford to start trouser hunting again before i send her back to school imcertainly not going round 20 plus shops when the trouser we have are very smart already pocket or not. the mate i mentioned above has a lad at another school with similar rules & yet again shelled out a fortunewhich i think he's now in debt for because uniform policy & being on a very low income, whats he suppose to do?

PT mentioned sowing up the pockets? Some kids may see this as embarrassing perhaps. Is it not taking the pee out of the rules? Therefore a good thing? I would think so.

Then again, I'm not 13. :hihi:

Archived