School uniform rules gone mad!!

Whether it's a good or bad thing, or reasonable or not. The bold answers my question. The school stated something, and it was not adhered to.

Sending someone home for such a minor infringement seems a little excessive though, as I said earlier. :)

right well a lot of shops arnt selling trouser without the back pocket & cant find a shop that does just sell them with front pockets, so to make sure they go to school on time wearing perfectly smart trousers they end up having to wear trousers with a small back pocket, to me that is trying to make an effort for your scool

You mentioned it, so I answered. That's all :).

Sorry but I just tryed to claryfi what I was saying, I was not judging your post.

People have always struggled. Do you think 3 pounds a week for a child is a lot? Do you think if (as when I was at school) the rules were relaxed, that children would fair better, when faced with the embarrassment of wearing cheap clothes, whilst all the in crowd are wearing designer gear?

Our kids uniform has been changed year on year since its implimentation and this year has cost us more and the rules have been more stringent and yet less clarryfied before the start of term so we personaly have had to buy on the fly as it were.

I don't know whether you've spelt it right. I use a spell checker as I can't spell that well :hihi:

probably not lol, I wasnt even that sure if it was what I meant :hihi:

I'm not judging people I don't think. I'm using reason and logic. And bringing mentally ill into the discussion seems almost mental in itself. The mentally ill are living far better and deserved lives than past generations.

My point is that more and more people are off with stress and mental problems as a resuilt of the recession ect

You know?, the way I see things... it's just such things as this discussion that mean we will head towards a draconian society. No one will think for themselves. And in fact, we are allowing it, by blaming others! :|

Its not that people want to blame anyone but this lot is getting dropped on people with different goals year on year and peoples budgets are just not up to the expectations of some of these schools and probably the education dept who is probabaly the overall dictator in it all.

Whether it's a good or bad thing, or reasonable or not. The bold answers my question. The school stated something, and it was not adhered to.

Sending someone home for such a minor infringement seems a little excessive though, as I said earlier. :)

its very excessive its a little of flexibility that should be shown here cos a lot cant get the right style or size but the nearest smartest thing to it so i believe they should be worn,oh & lads have to have crease down the front or home, it the girls trouser problem is as bad cos some can get them with pockets & some without,but 2 tiny pockets which rarely visible doesnt warrant your child sending home until you find the correct gear its just not on

Its not that people want to blame anyone but this lot is getting dropped on people with different goals year on year and peoples budgets are just not up to the expectations of some of these schools and probably the education dept who is probabaly the overall dictator in it all.

You've deliberately made that impossible to multi-quote haven't you?! :hihi:

I mentioned earlier 'moving the goal posts'. If the school has moved them, and with not a reasonable time for adjustments to be made, then fair esnuff. :)

I only got a vague answer to the question that I put forward earlier. Maybe in the morning, someone can tear me apart, because I missed a post where the rules and regs were clearly mentioned to the parents with little or no time at all, to make the changes.

At the school my neice attends, one of the rules is that they are not allowed to walk around with coats. Once in school the coat must either be fully concealed in their bag or, if they are lucky enough to have been allocated a shared locker, then it must be in the locker. They also have restrictions on the type and size of bag permitted in school.

The result is that the majority of the children go to school without coats, fine in good weather but totally ridiculous in the bad weather. They only have a few lockers available and approximately 30% of pupils get one (on a shared basis). Complaints from parents so far haven't changed the policy which has been in place for at least 3 years to my knowledge.

I took my neice shopping for school trousers as she'd been to several places with her mum and not found anything suitable. We managed to find some, at £45 a pair. She will need two pair so that's £90 just for the trousers. How anyone can get an entire uniform for a whole 12 months for £150 is working miracles! Children grow at such a rate that they may need several pairs of shoes, shirts and trousers (factor into this additional PE footwear and clothes too) and you can easily be talking several hundred pounds for uniform alone. Non-uniform clothes could quite easily add up to a lot more for those who are prepared (and able) to pay for it. School uniforms should be flexible enough for all parents no matter what their financial status to be able to a) obtain fairly easily and b) be able to reasonably afford even at the lowest income level otherwise it creates one of the problems it is meant to avoid, and that is the class issue. No child wants to stand out from the crowd and be isolated because their parents are not financially able to provide appropriate or sufficient items of clothing. I know of children who have missed several months of school because they'd grown out of their original uniform and their parent could not afford to replace them. The school would not allow them to wear trousers that were obviously too short. I too remember going to the council/education offices with vouchers to get basic items for school uniforms. This must be brought back for those on low incomes if the schools are going to be strict about even minor infringements.

What would the position be if every single pupil infringed the strict uniform code? Surely a school cannot exist without any pupils? It might stop some of the teachers whinging about having to work for a living though ;)

My decision to home educate puts a whopping big smile on my face because at least I won't have this tedious issue to face :D

its very excessive its a little of flexibility that should be shown here cos a lot cant get the right style or size but the nearest smartest thing to it so i believe they should be worn,oh & lads have to have crease down the front or home, it the girls trouser problem is as bad cos some can get them with pockets & some without,but 2 tiny pockets which rarely visible doesnt warrant your child sending home until you find the correct gear its just not on

Clearly someone is missing out on a market then! :)

I'll settle for agreeing that a child shouldn't be sent home, as I've said from the start.

With so many posts from people though, especially ones that I've seen on other threads mentioning 'send unruly kids to boot camp, or national service', I'll use quotes from this (if I'm as bored as I am now :hihi:) to reflect their own misrepresentations of authority. :hihi:

the black trouser are most peoples problem theyre stating at 1 school pleats down the fronts and two front pockets only, they cant buy what cant find so they buy a smart pair with two pockets at the front.VERY SMART sent home no pleat

another school, black trousers very smart two pockets at front & a very small one at the back VERY SMART sent home cos of very small pocket, it was the only trousers the family could find or get to fit him as near to stryle required

same school my daughter has eventually found correct style of black trousers result, not sent home from school however she still has 2 pair of smart black school trouser which fit her from last year but have very small pockets at the front mainly covered by jumper, she's gonna wear these trousers for scool cos they are smart & i want my moneys worth out of them, result if she gets sent home, stay at home until the school reimburses me or offers to buy 2 more pair or until i decide i can afford some more or decide when i start to shop for them=attendance rates will be down making it look worse on the school

Clearly someone is missing out on a market then! :)

I'll settle for agreeing that a child shouldn't be sent home, as I've said from the start.

With so many posts from people though, especially ones that I've seen on other threads mentioning 'send unruly kids to boot camp, or national service', I'll use quotes from this (if I'm as bored as I am now :hihi:) to reflect their own misrepresentations of authority. :hihi:

so now you agree standards could be a little flexible when people have problems buying the right kit (trousers) would you agree on some form grant to help those who are in real need on very little incomes to purchase complete sets of uniforms,trousers, shoes, trainersx2 p.e kit etc. not to pay for it all but some of it

so now you agree standards could be a little flexible when people have problems buying the right kit (trousers) would you agree on some form grant to help those who are in real need on very little incomes to purchase complete sets of uniforms,trousers, shoes, trainersx2 p.e kit etc. not to pay for it all but some of it

I said that flexibilities should be expressed with regard to sending children home.

That makes no difference to my view on unnecessary grants. :)

Archived