School uniform rules gone mad!!

my daughters is like a prison issue kit, in big letters it has to have "physical education" printed on it, they have to have shorts & tracksuit & yes 2 pairs of plimsoll/trainers i think oh & we was told to buy her some football boots but this ended up being dropped

That made me :hihi:, i know both our kids go to the same school so i agree about the PE kit looking like a prision issue kit i thought the same, also what is that all about the football boots? i got my daughter a pair when she started, and 3 years later the boots are still new in the box never used, i thought they use them on the field or something, but since my daughter started she just worn trainers even on the field. talk about the day uniform has to be intact, yet the school is not botherd about the full PE wear for outdoors.

Great until they get in to the real world and they find they have to conform, a rude awakening awaits little Johnny when he finds out he can’t get his own way.

Wow youve summed it all up for us, we must stop winging on the subject now that we know its just our kids wanting to wear nike trainers.

How you read any of the topic at all ? or just like to let you fingers do your thinking as they hit the keyboard ?

Its not about having to have a dress code at all and as its pointed out a high, very high percentage of parents and kids know and accept the dress code and adhere to it, its actually abot the stupidness of how the schools have got stringent with the dress code and are changing the goal posts year on year and making it more difficult and less affordable for struggling parents.

I will take you back to my original gripe about the school that my children go to so to save you the bother of reading back pages, At their school they have had a dress code for some years and everyone I know has kept to it but this year they decided that you now have to have the school logo stitched into the top where as before you could shop for the colour and style top at the supermarket to keep the price down and that was enough or you could get a badge with the logo to sow on. This year however you MUST have the logo sown in AND you HAVE to buy them from the school !

So now you must be able to afford X amount for a kids top from the school to be able to conform as they have now with their own rules cornered the market in the name or trying to make our kids Identicle in every miniscual detail.

Others have stated its not about the uniform its about stupid points like creases or shades of colours so they are taking it all to another level and doing away with freedom of choice where actually beingable to purchace the uniforms comes into it. So in effect pricing some parents out of being litrally able to conform or stuggling to do so.

To the poster that talked about having to go to one shop for uniform, this isn't allowed by law unless the school is private. The regulations state that at least two suppliers should be used, for as much as possible. The exceptions seem to be school blazers or jumpers with patches.

To be honest if it says no pockets, as it seems to then to me that would indicate no pockets. If you don't like the rules then complain, but don't send your child in to school not properly dressed. The original poster's nephew shouldn't have been sent to school on the first day without emergency contact details. What if he had been seriously hurt? The first day of school is when they collect emergency contact details.

To those who say that teachers don't have a uniform, very few working adults do. As far as I know VI form students don't have a uniform, why should teachers? If you don't support the school on a small thing as uniform as parents, who is to say you'll enforce homework or attendance, the thing that unites them all is that they are all COMPULSORY.

The sending home has happened before but no one seems to have complained. Write to the councillors, and find out how you can go through the school's or the LEA's complaints procedure.

Go back and read the posts through. The very trousers he was wearing he wore last term and they were acceptable then. it is a case of authority given to people who obviously dont have the braincells to use it. As for sending a child to school with an emergency contact number, he is in year 8 they have all his details from last term but the point is they didnt contact his mother. they didnt give him the option of contacting his mother himself, he was just told to go home. having the number in his bag would have made no difference whatsoever.

Another thing, my lads are not hat far apart where age is concerened and if the uniform was ok it got handed down. This year they have changed it again so clothes from the end of last term are not being able to be used even tho theres nothing wrong with them.

Are schools trying to single handedly kick start the ecconamy ? is that it ?

Wow youve summed it all up for us, we must stop winging on the subject now that we know its just our kids wanting to wear nike trainers.

How you read any of the topic at all ? or just like to let you fingers do your thinking as they hit the keyboard ?

Hope you feel better for all that and yes I have followed the thread, if you have been following the thread perhaps you could answer my earlier question……..how come the vast majority of students are appropriately dressed.

My son started Yewlands yesterday so I still have the uniform guide they sent him I have just looked and they are showing a photo of black school trousers with NO creases down the front and the blurb underneath says "Boys/girls formal black trousers".

Nowhere in the guide does it mention a crease having to be on the trousers I would take it further and will happily pass on the guide to you if you don't ahve a copy.

Mmmm Interesting. His mum said the guide didnt say anything specific and she believed wholeheartedly that they were fine. However she dosent have a copy of the guide now so she cant substantiate that.

The Star do want to run the story but my sister in law is reluctant to go through with it because she is worried it will put him at an unfair advantage with his teacher-pupil relationships.

It is a shame if the school are not publicly embarrassed in the press for such stupidity.

If there is anyone with a child from yewlands whose child was sent home yesterday for such a minor mistake (apparently there were quite a few!!!) and would like to highlight the story with my sister then let us know because I'm sure she'd go through with it if it didnt single out my nephew.

Hope you feel better for all that and yes I have followed the thread, if you have been following the thread perhaps you could answer my earlier question……..how come the vast majority of students are appropriately dressed.

I do not know even if they do but saying they do I would need more to go on like a afluance or the majority of the parents that send their kids to which ever school, the numbers involved in the families that have kids in said school IE: how many kids they have, how much infomation about the dress code parents have actually been made aware of and how litral the school takes it. other factors could be schools nit picking over individual kids that may have not been the best pupils for them the previous years ect. Theres loads of things that can come into it.

I take it you have children and are in a stable financial possition atm ?

Schools will make a dress code based on adverages of the probable incomes of families in their catchment area, that said it does nothing for the people that have dropped down their incomes with the recession we are in and for the families on the lower end of the scale of that finacial prediction. So that would answer your question as to why some people struggle to meet the requirements.

You still think its fair ?

Archived