School uniform rules gone mad!!

This thread is getting really silly now - the discussion is going around in circles and needs to be closed.

Dont understand why the rhread should be closed. This is relevant to a lot of people who want to discuss it. if your finding it boring then dont follow it!!

That's a useful link Localman. It answers many of the questions in here.

Having read that through carefully now, and several times last year following a loggerheads meeting with the school head and Chair of the Board, I can tell you it is a load of unsubstantiated toss and reguritated received wisdom! The evidence suggests that uniform does not make one iota of positive difference to wellbeing, belonging, academic achievement, bullying, or the happiness of children.

In reality the desire for uniforms in state schools mirrors the desire for more homework, which are in turn influenced by the general economic state of the country. In times of hardship, financial and academic competition is foregrounded and in times of hardship the opposite happens.

The desire for uniforms is nothing less than the sublimated desire to have one's children attend a private school of which uniform is a signifier.

That doesn't seems too unreasonable. Without the rule of school uniform, I think that 'personal choice' of clothes would exceed that figure considerably, for many/most parents. Have you seen the price of designer crap?. That is part of the reason that uniforms should be used.

If some parents have to buy designer clothes for their children (presumably because their children have told them to), then that is an issue for that family. Putting everyone in uniform is not a solution to that problem. Insisting on school uniforms merely compels parents to buy a set of clothes for their kids every 6 months (they grow fast) that they are never going to use outside of school. The clothes from budget sources (Asda/tesco etc) are cheap as chips and shìte quality, strung together by altogether less fortunate "young workers" (emphatically not children) in China. I'm assuming that children wear clothes outside of school - so why can't they wear their normal clothes in school?

I think, the use of uniforms is used to instill a form of united identity, and of course, is a form of discipline. Not having uniforms, as I had just led to many divided identity groups, but most importantly negative ones, and unnecessary ones!. (eg. class division).

The same goes for uniform. Don't think that the kids don't realise who is in the monogrammed wool uniform, and who is in the ASDA/Tesco cheap kit. If children are being bullied for what they are wearing, then the school should deal with the bullies, not try and shift the bullies attention onto other differences, whilst pouring plenty of happy kids into unecessary uniforms.

The most of the rest of Europe manages to have happier kids, and better school results with no uniforms whatsoever.

It's regressive, illiberal, militaristic and denies freedom of choice to the kids that can handle it. I don't care if it's easier to get your kids into uniform rather than normal clothes in the morning, that doesn't mean that mine should have to dress up like a little clones.

The memo from Carterknowle Juniors stated

We believe that a school uniform reinforces the notion that children come to school primarily to work

She's a nice headteacher, but I might just start making a nuisance of myself at this school too. The problem is that everyone accepts the received wisdom peddled by the government without a second thought. It's utter, utter baloney.

Against this kind of mentality, I am starting to see the plus side of home educating.

i cant see the problem with pockets, i mean how many shops sell boys trousers without pockets? its flamin stupid

I think it was because they had back pockets in the style of jeans. The trousers were smart black ones & not in a jean style - just the pockets on the back. It is a nightmare buying trousers for older boys - none of the supermarket ones fit & so its really hard to find cheap one's. I never have a problem with girls stuff - tons of choice.

I think it was because they had back pockets in the style of jeans. The trousers were smart black ones & not in a jean style - just the pockets on the back. It is a nightmare buying trousers for older boys - none of the supermarket ones fit & so its really hard to find cheap one's. I never have a problem with girls stuff - tons of choice.
weve had a nightmare buying trousers for me daughter cos of height, skinny waist etc but we eventually got some, however she still has some with very small pockets that fit her & im certainly gonna make sure she gets her fair use out of them at school, i think as long as the pocket is stitched to the inside & not material stitched on the outside to make the pocket then there shouldnt be a problem, its madness, yet again at her school today, teachers had trousers on with pockets so why not kids

WOW Phanerothyme. youve really analyzed that havent you and I totally agree I am however not going to quote you because I think thats th longest post Ive ever read. haha

I ended up in a very good natured row with my boy's previous school about this. They had a voluntary uniform, and decided to make it compulsory. By the end of the meeting the Head said "I wouldn't dream of making your boy wear anything he didn't want to" - which I passed on to him and let him make his own decision.

For a few days he was the only kid out of uniform, but by and by, dozens of others joined him, and by the end of the year more than half the kids in his class turned up in "mufti".

I ended up in a very good natured row with my boy's previous school about this. They had a voluntary uniform, and decided to make it compulsory. By the end of the meeting the Head said "I wouldn't dream of making your boy wear anything he didn't want to" - which I passed on to him and let him make his own decision.

For a few days he was the only kid out of uniform, but by and by, dozens of others joined him, and by the end of the year more than half the kids in his class turned up in "mufti".

Well good on you. we should stand up for ourselfs. I dont disagree with uniforms on the whole but there is a degree of the school not even knowing what is accepable and what is not.

This is where the kids slip through the net. if he'd turned up at school with green shoes or purple hair then its obviously an attempt to be a rulebreaker but a discreet pocket on smart trousers is so ridiculous.

Just found out my 12 year old nephew has been sent home from school for wearing the wrong STYLE trousers. They are entirely black as requested but they dont have a pleat as requested.

His mum (who is at work) has contacted the school and apologised for what is a genuine mistake and been told he can go back into school for today but will be isolated from the other kids.

Now am I missing something here. this is a good kid who behaves himself and is doing well at school. who decides that it is ok to take him away from his work and his friends for something that is not his fault.

Even if it does contravine the uniform (albeit by accident) it still is not the childs fault. I'm so angry over this one. if I were his mum I think I'd be inclined to take this further

I'm sick of it as well....... We don't live in a communist society however our kids are tricked into beleaving we are....... We are a free society and our kids should be allowed to choose what they wear. While we all know education is being dumbed down taking away our individuality is beyond totalitarian, its sick.

We must wake up before we are all non smokers, non drinkers, and all in bed for 7 o'clock. if only as much time was put into teaching manners as is put into uniforms. We are all becoming uniform.

Parkwood Academy have told their pupils that if they have their hair dyed they will be sent home and suspended. Its a world gone mad.

They also have a 'new' 70's style blazer and tie. The teachers however are allowed to wear what they want, talk about hypocrits.

Parkwood Academy teachers CANNOT wear what they want. The students might think they can, but a dress code for staff has been implemented for the new Academy.

Some of the teachers are unrecognisable from last year!

The students look amazingly smart too.

WOW Phanerothyme. youve really analyzed that havent you and I totally agree I am however not going to quote you because I think thats th longest post Ive ever read. haha

It was a long post!. But given who wrote it, I read every word with interest.

If some parents have to buy designer clothes for their children (presumably because their children have told them to), then that is an issue for that family. Putting everyone in uniform is not a solution to that problem. Insisting on school uniforms merely compels parents to buy a set of clothes for their kids every 6 months (they grow fast) that they are never going to use outside of school. The clothes from budget sources (Asda/tesco etc) are cheap as chips and shìte quality, strung together by altogether less fortunate "young workers" (emphatically not children) in China. I'm assuming that children wear clothes outside of school - so why can't they wear their normal clothes in school?

The same goes for uniform. Don't think that the kids don't realise who is in the monogrammed wool uniform, and who is in the ASDA/Tesco cheap kit. If children are being bullied for what they are wearing, then the school should deal with the bullies, not try and shift the bullies attention onto other differences, whilst pouring plenty of happy kids into unecessary uniforms.

It's a difference of opinion, is all. And it's rare in the fact that I would not normally disagree about this kind of authority in society.

Given the costings that were mentioned last night, and I've already voiced my opinion on that, I still would disagree with Phan on that basis, and the argument out forward, which I've bolded above. In the past perhaps when children went to the local school, there was a lot more equality in home backgrounds. Today however, kids are going to school (in particular Secondary) anywhere!.

It's regressive, illiberal, militaristic and denies freedom of choice to the kids that can handle it. I don't care if it's easier to get your kids into uniform rather than normal clothes in the morning, that doesn't mean that mine should have to dress up like a little clones.

It is perhaps. But we'll just have to disagree on the reasoning. :)

I think it's a small but important part of early discipline.

Archived