School uniform rules gone mad!!

This isn't just about one school or one parent is it. It's about nearly every secondary school in Sheffield. Failing schools seem to think that if they could make all the children look like they went to private school they would become academically brilliant. That is never going to happen. Meanwhile the well behaved children are being criminalised by schools for the lack of a pleat or a crease. This is not bad children that are being sent home or being put in isolation. The bad children aren't going to school in the first place.

I'm sick of it as well....... We don't live in a communist society however our kids are tricked into beleaving we are....... We are a free society and our kids should be allowed to choose what they wear. While we all know education is being dumbed down taking away our individuality is beyond totalitarian, its sick.

We must wake up before we are all non smokers, non drinkers, and all in bed for 7 o'clock. if only as much time was put into teaching manners as is put into uniforms. We are all becoming uniform.

if only more parents put some time and effort into teaching their little darlings some basic manners (table and otherwise), and laying down a few ground rules regarding behaviour, then maybe the teachers would be able to do what they are paid for and teach!!!!!:rant: If a few more of the above said little darlings were in bed by 7 then they might learn a bit more too.

Our school reintroduced school uniform, as some children were being bullied for not wearing the right designer gear (this is Primary by the way). Parents were also getting uppity because Junior had got paint on said designer gear etc. It works well for us, but there is a degree of flexibility. When I was at secondary, it was part of the fun to see how much you could bend the uniform rules, but I appreciate that schools need to keep fashion to a minimum and practicality to the fore. I don't have any trouble getting uniform trousers for my kids. John Lewis do allsorts of sizes, as do M&S, and they are not expensive. Child 1 is at secondary with no uniform, and I have just remembered why I like uniform so much - it dries much quicker than jeans!

I've experienced going through all my schooldays without having to wear a uniform. It's a lot easier for everyone concerned. And although sometimes, especially in the summer, some people wore inappropriate dress, it wasn't a major problem.

And what people say about uniforms giving a sense of pride for school - what nonsense. Not having to wear a uniform gives independence and, in a way, celebrates cultural diversity. And the problems of "class divisions" due to what people wear really weren't very common.

It's a lot less hassle, and we didn't have to put up with stupid staff sending us home for wearing the wrong trousers.

Having read Phanerothymes rant I agree totaly.

For the person that doesnt like radio sheff or the star coming on here for the story well if this topic is getting so much intrest then it is a story. I personally think if something that gets you goat up gets more coverage then its a good thing.

I was just wondering after reading an earlier post about the only thing now different in their school was the colour of the kids faces, if that too had some significance. Given that Sheffield now has a high mixed race population if the Idea behind uniforms and the conforming aspect is more about taking away a different type of Identaty and giving our kids something more in common rarther than the white, black and asian grouping that you see in and around schools.

Maybe they think a schools identity will break down community boundries ?

I was at a Grammar school when a child. We wore school uniform but it was never as nit picking as it is now. We still got bullied for not having the latest posh schoolwear. My children when they started school in Sheffield went to a primary that didn't have uniform. There was pressure from parents to have one. I and some other parents voted against as there was no obvious problems. Certain parents said they wanted it because they couldn't persuade their children to wear sensible clothing. Who buys the clothing? The secondary school has gradually got more and more picky. Uniform that was alright for my older children can't be handed down to my younger ones because the rules have kept changing. It's just added stress which we don't need.

The secondary school has gradually got more and more picky. Uniform that was alright for my older children can't be handed down to my younger ones because the rules have kept changing. It's just added stress which we don't need.

A point I totaly agree with and made myself earlier. My kids come home and the uniform is in the wash everynight (told the wife, but she likes them to have clean on) and they are in there old clothers to play out in. This keeps the uniform in pretty good condition and made it ok to hand down, but as they have changed the rules again we have to stump up and chuck out good clothes.

And they try to educate people to recycle !

Having read Phanerothymes rant I agree totaly.

For the person that doesnt like radio sheff or the star coming on here for the story well if this topic is getting so much intrest then it is a story. I personally think if something that gets you goat up gets more coverage then its a good thing.

I was just wondering after reading an earlier post about the only thing now different in their school was the colour of the kids faces, if that too had some significance. Given that Sheffield now has a high mixed race population if the Idea behind uniforms and the conforming aspect is more about taking away a different type of Identaty and giving our kids something more in common rarther than the white, black and asian grouping that you see in and around schools.

Maybe they think a schools identity will break down community boundries ?

In the past pupils from different races could fit in with other races just by wearing similar cloths....... Asian girls use to wear beautiful asian clothes, some however were wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Children now find it very hard to see the person under the uniform and stereo typing is easily done.

if only more parents put some time and effort into teaching their little darlings some basic manners (table and otherwise), and laying down a few ground rules regarding behaviour, then maybe the teachers would be able to do what they are paid for and teach!!!!!:rant: If a few more of the above said little darlings were in bed by 7 then they might learn a bit more too.

Yes I agree , teachers should teach not enforce uniform policy. Don't the schools have behavior policies , they should use them. And as for learning is concerned how does a posh school attain 100 percent pass rates.? The pupils are more intelligent in inner city schools and the system is fixed for the rich. No thickos in posh schools is there?

Archived