School uniform rules gone mad!!

Just found out my 12 year old nephew has been sent home from school for wearing the wrong STYLE trousers. They are entirely black as requested but they dont have a pleat as requested.

His mum (who is at work) has contacted the school and apologised for what is a genuine mistake and been told he can go back into school for today but will be isolated from the other kids.

Now am I missing something here. this is a good kid who behaves himself and is doing well at school. who decides that it is ok to take him away from his work and his friends for something that is not his fault.

Even if it does contravine the uniform (albeit by accident) it still is not the childs fault. I'm so angry over this one. if I were his mum I think I'd be inclined to take this further

Sounds like British Airways Uniform Standards Police!!! Try having the same problem in adulthood!!!!

But Yewlands headteacher Angela Armytage said discussions about the dress code had begun last September, and it had been designed and chosen by the students themselves.

"We sent a booklet with pictures out to parents to show what was acceptable and from May to July we carried out a campaign, holding assemblies and sending out letters. We covered all the angles to explain everything," she said.

"As a result we had 880 students all arriving in the correct uniform and a small group of 20 who had seemingly not listened.

"We have a new school building here, our results are up and we want our students to look professional and ready for the world of work. Most of them are now looking fantastic.

"We did all we could to consult but there are always a small group of resisters in such situations."

schools have uniforms to try and discourage bullying due to some children been less well off! i do agree with it to be honest....plus look from a parents point of view....having to buy loads of different clothes for school while also keeping up with the fashions. its alot easier to buy a few polo shirts for 6 months than a new top every week for your children.....well thats my opinion anyway.

altho it is agreed that just because you havnt got a pleat you get sent home thats mad....while been sent home your not learning anything.

Growing up without a dad, we were quite poor. I had the misfortune to go to a rather posh grammar school where uniform policy was strict (but clear, so no room for misunderstandings)

My poor mum managed to kit me out for school, but there was no money for a non uniform coat. So when I went out I had no choice but to wear my school blazer. You can probably imagine the reaction of the other kids (which wasn't kind)

I was never so glad as when we returned to Sheffield.

Uniform is a good thing, but there must be no room for doubt about what is allowed and what is not.

"We did all we could to consult but there are always a small group of resisters in such situations."

Presumably she is referring to some parents. It can't be a justification for punishing the child.

Beats me how teachers pay lip service to eliminating bullying in schools when they use the same tactics themselves. :mad:

What should happen is a letter to the parents with a couple of day's grace to rectify the situation.

Minimo: "So when I went out I had no choice but to wear my school blazer. You can probably imagine the reaction of the other kids (which wasn't kind)

I was never so glad as when we returned to Sheffield."

I had the same situation at a Sheffield school! :-(

Re. back pockets - would it be acceptable if they were sewn up or removed?

Granma.

The story will be in tonights star. Ive already seen it on the star website (thats not my nephew he would'nt have his photo taken bless him) Radio Sheffield have just interviewed my sister in law Andrea too, so it may be on there. The only outcome I hope for is that Ryan and the other 19 children have the unauthorised absence mark removed from the registers.

The story will be in tonights star. Ive already seen it on the star website (thats not my nephew he would'nt have his photo taken bless him) Radio Sheffield have just interviewed my sister in law Andrea too, so it may be on there. The only outcome I hope for is that Ryan and the other 19 children have the unauthorised absence mark removed from the registers.

Is it you then who would rather your child stay away from home than pay £5 for some trousers? Fine example if so.

£5 for trousers! your havin a laugh do you shop at charity shops? clown

I take it you havent seen the offers on at asda etc then :hihi:

The way some kids go through school uniforms is unreal - my daughter "lost" 3 school jumpers last term...

And as for shoes, dont get me started on that !

Archived