School uniform rules gone mad!!

On the subject of logo. I went to Notre Dame and they were moving towards buying the school logo clothes from the school shop which was more expensive. Probably because they thought Catholic parents had more money.

Not every child at Notre Dame is from a catholic family.

reminds me of my school too. There were certain things we were allowed only to wear at certain times, though (and all only available through the school shop)

Summer Uniform -

Orange dress - hem no shorter than 1 inch off the ground when kneeling.

Green Jumper

Green Blazer

brown socks

brown shoes

Within the school, we could wear the jumper, but out of school grounds, we could only wear it if we had the blazer over the top.

Winter Uniform

Yellow Shirt

Green/red tie

Green Jumper

Green Blazer

green/red tarten skirt - 2 inches below the knee.

green rain jacket

brown socks

brown shoes

Within the school, we could wear the jumper, but out of school grounds, we could only wear it if we had the blazer over the top.

Sports Uniform

Green Tracksuit bottoms

green netball skirt

yellow t-shirt (generic)

yellow t-shirt (with sports house name)

Yellow/green rugby top.

We could wear this when we had sports or all day if we had an inter-school or inter-house event.

We were allowed to wear 1 stud or sleeper in each ear and a watch.

no other jewellery, no makeup, nothing else - and our hair had to be neat and tidy.

Boys had to be clean shaven and their hair also had to be tidy and neat.

Do you know, I changed schools from the private one and went to a public school where they weren't so strict and the students seemed to care more about what they were wearing and how they looked than their grades. I shouldn't have changed schools, but of course at 16 - I knew everything. :)

In hindsight, I preferred the stricter school.

Thats quite a list for a boys' school.

My daughter goes city their so leaniant the girls look like their goin clubbin an boys turn up in track suits an trainers some middle ground needs to be found I think !

City School-used to be a sought after school but sadly now is a pathetic shadow of its former self,due to indulgent parents and indifferent stakk who lack personal authority.

• 1 month later...
Just found out my 12 year old nephew has been sent home from school for wearing the wrong STYLE trousers. They are entirely black as requested but they dont have a pleat as requested.

His mum (who is at work) has contacted the school and apologised for what is a genuine mistake and been told he can go back into school for today but will be isolated from the other kids.

Now am I missing something here. this is a good kid who behaves himself and is doing well at school. who decides that it is ok to take him away from his work and his friends for something that is not his fault.

Even if it does contravine the uniform (albeit by accident) it still is not the childs fault. I'm so angry over this one. if I were his mum I think I'd be inclined to take this further

He'll be going in Trakkies by Year 11!

I get why they want school uniform but i don t get why they send them home in the middle of the day affecting their education and giving children who may not want to go to school an afternoon off . Also lots of parents are at work during the day I know these children are young adults but i wouldn t want my children sent home to an empty house in the middle of the day. I think it would be sufficient to inform the parents of the problem ready for the next school day.

Or an investment into the desprately needed school funds at the end of the day.

£130 per year or whatever is hardly breaking the bank.

I'm sure there is help and support payments avaliable for those on very low incomes who cannot afford it.

It is breaking the bank if you are on Minimum wage, or have more than one child.

As for help, I remember that there used to be the "education" place that supplied school clothes/ uniforms, but I don't think that has existed for years.

It's hard enough to get free school meals these days!

It is breaking the bank if you are on Minimum wage, or have more than one child.

As for help, I remember that there used to be the "education" place that supplied school clothes/ uniforms, but I don't think that has existed for years.

It's hard enough to get free school meals these days!

Wearing the "eddy" clothes was a kiss of death for kids at school and just marked them out as a target for bully's.

Just over £10 per month per child is nowhere near breaking the bank. The benefits alone available to most people with kids on low incomes will cover that easily.

If you are really telling me that £130 per year for school clothing is breaking the bank that much you need think about whether you really could afford to have children and what you are spending your money on.

Minimum wage is around £6.00 per hour. that's around £860 after tax for a full time worker per parent (at least one of which is usually full time). Add on all those top ups for "low earners" such as child tax credits, working tax credits, housing benefit, council tax benefit, and/or any maintainence payments for split couples etc... etc....

Do I need to go on?

Archived