School uniform rules gone mad!!

Just over £10 per month per child is nowhere near breaking the bank. The benefits alone available to most people with kids on low incomes will cover that easily.

If you are really telling me that £130 per year for school clothing is breaking the bank that much you need think about whether you really could afford to have children and what you are spending your money on.

Minimum wage is around £6.00 per hour. that's around £860 after tax for a full time worker per parent (at least one of which is usually full time). Add on all those top ups for "low earners" such as child tax credits, working tax credits, housing benefit, council tax benefit, and/or any maintainence payments for split couples etc... etc....

Do I need to go on?

Well, yes, because it's okay to say "£10 a month per child isn't much" but when you are scratching on benefits or minimum wage, it IS a huge amount. especially if it's more than one child.

If parents can't manage to find the bus fares to school etc, how can they stump it all up at once? You can't get your child the polo shirts in October, and the trousers in December, and make them wait for the shoes till February... a pair of shoes needs replacing when they are damaged, not in three months' time when you've theoretically saved your £30 up. (barring any other emergency taking that rainy-day money!)

This is why many people fall prey to the doorstep lenders.

I had the same trouble with my daughters school, before they broke up last year for 6 weeks hols they had a uniform letter sent home so during the 6 week hols we went out and i ended up forking out over £250 on 2 lots of school uniform as i have 2 children however after the 4th week of being back she was extremely late home from school, when she came in i found out that she had been in isolation all day AND had been given a 30 minute detention for not wearing the correct trousers (apparantly they were too wide?) :loopy:

when i contacted the school to find out what had gone off i was told that they had again changed they uniform poilcy to trousers that were narrow and children were now not allowed to wear bootcut trousers? i asked when this had been changed and they said well we have not sent letters to parents yet!!!

how is it right to punish a child for wearing something when the parents haven't even been informed that they can not wear them now? :huh:

My daughter recently moved to a new school, with a different uniform policy - I am baout to go and but here the 4th pair of trousers because they are 'unsuitable'. Her most recent pair - bought last month for £25 - are unsuitable 'because they might fade' ermmmm - they are suit trousers from Next :huh:

Yewlands TC

Oh my god they are the strictest Secondary in North of Sheffield for uniform, and always have been. The amount of complaints on this forum about that school, you wouldn't believe. Haha it's just a shame they aint strict on punishing naughty pupils!

What a joke!!

Guest sibon
Oh my god they are the strictest Secondary in North of Sheffield for uniform, and always have been. The amount of complaints on this forum about that school, you wouldn't believe. Haha it's just a shame they aint strict on punishing naughty pupils!

What a joke!!

By naughty, do you mean those who won't stick to the rules?

What are you getting at?

That you seem to be making a subjective assertion on what is or isn't a naughty pupil.

There is a theory that if you you let the little things go the children will presume that the school is relaxed about all the rules, and conversely if you clamp down on even the small things, the children of that school will recognise it's authority.

Guest sibon
What are you getting at?

I'm trying to get at the root of your apparent problem.

Care to answer the question, or are you just here to have a random moan?

Archived