School uniform rules gone mad!!

I would be interested to know (as a school governor) just how precisely detailed were the rules about school uniform as conveyed to parents.

If the uniform rules specifically state there must be creases, but no pockets, in trousers, then fair enough. The parents should have obeyed the rules (even if they are over the top)

But if these details are not laid down, and parents could not have known, then there is cause for complaint, first to the HT then to the chair of the governing body.

However, even if the school is 'in the right' about the uniform, it is still totally wrong to send children home (effectively a one day exclusion) for relatively minor infringements.

So either way I think there is cause to query the school's actions.

To be fair it does state in the pack that we got with the uniform order form, exactly what is and isnt acceptable. I think the no pockets, means combat style trousers. However, the punishment is very harsh for the "crime",

To be fair it does state in the pack that we got with the uniform order form, exactly what is and isnt acceptable. I think the no pockets, means combat style trousers. However, the punishment is very harsh for the "crime",
yewlands state that girls are not allowed pockets at all on there trousers:loopy:

What have schools got against pockets?

When we were atschool we didn't have uniform thank god. It's bad enough that they don't let the kids dye their hair etc but not to be able to have pockets? I would have thought that so long as they are wearing smart black trousers it would be fine. I think the power has gone to their heads. Going to school in my day was bad enough but it sounds like bloody prison now.

Dictating tossers.

I feel there is more to this story than the OP is telling us - I expect the whole truth will out in good time.

I have spoken to my nephew myself now (as he is at home doing absolutley nothing) and the story is gospel. he has been prevented from learning for a whole day because he does not have a crease down the leg and has one tiny pocket on the seat of his trousers, as all tailored trousers do.

He was sent home while both his mum and dad were at work and without either parent being informed beforehand and whatsmore he lives a considerable distance from the school. nobody checked if was even capable of getting home. I.E. busfares/a housekey. the whole situation was deplorable and I am astonished with the school.

I have contacted The Star and they are intending to run the story, I can only hope that the embarassment this causes the school, prevents them from doing this to a young child in the future

yewlands state that girls are not allowed pockets at all on there trousers:loopy:

No...of course not. :hihi: It says, and I quote " Boys/Girls formal black trousers (no outside pockets). No Linen style - No jean style - No velour style." I just assumed it means combats! :confused:

I have spoken to my nephew myself now (as he is at home doing absolutley nothing) and the story is gospel. he has been prevented from learning for a whole day because he does not have a crease down the leg and has one tiny pocket on the seat of his trousers, as all tailored trousers do.

He was sent home while both his mum and dad were at work and without either parent being informed beforehand and whatsmore he lives a considerable distance from the school. nobody checked if was even capable of getting home. I.E. busfares/a housekey. the whole situation was deplorable and I am astonished with the school.

I have contacted The Star and they are intending to run the story, I can only hope that the embarassment this causes the school, prevents them from doing this to a young child in the future

Well, I just checked uniform info we received before hols. It does not state that a crease is required down front of trousers and it states "no outside pockets" I dont see how his back pocket can be classed as "out side" :confused:

Archived