Growing up in Woodseats Road

swblandy

I didn't grow up there, but well remember the shoe repairer, Mr Dunwell, he was deaf. Frank Bland had a corner shop, he used to deliver to my Grans! He sold wonderful Danish butter that he used to just cut a lump off, it was fabulous!!

I didn't grow up there, but well remember the shoe repairer, Mr Dunwell, he was deaf. Frank Bland had a corner shop, he used to deliver to my Grans! He sold wonderful Danish butter that he used to just cut a lump off, it was fabulous!!

Hi Hetty, My father was Frank Bland I remember his shop very well, up until the time he had to sell it because of ill health. He passed away last yearhe was 88. I used to deliver groceries with him, must have gone to your gran,s. What was her name? Remember Mr Dunwell, he used to repair our shoes.

Gran lived on Struan Road. I remember your dad well, I used to call him Uncle Frank!!! Gran died in 1983, just short of her 90 birthday. We had a special relationship, first grand child born to her first born, my father. She died whilst living with me and my late husband. I miss her. Sorry to hear of your dads death, I know it comes to us all, but it doesn't make it any easier does it? In fact Gran outlived two husbands a son and daughter in law!!!

Gran lived on Struan Road. I remember your dad well, I used to call him Uncle Frank! Great died in 1983, just short of her 90 birthday. We had a special relationship, first grand child born to her first born, my father. She died Whilst living with me and my late husband. I miss her. Sorry to hear of your dads death, I know it comes to us all, but it does not make it any easier does it? In fact Great outlive two husbands a son and daughter in law !!![/ QUOTE]

Hi Hetty, mothers still alive she,s 92 and going strong, says she is going to make100. They were good days when you had corner shops but supermarkets done away with them all. Nothing stays the same, pity!

Anyony grow up in Woodseats Road in the fifties

I was born on rydal rd my mother worked at woodseats palace i used to go and meet her from work & walk down woodseats rd at the bottom near the bridge was a pie and pea shop the lady had a oven in the front room best pie and peas in sheffield.We used to go in the smithywood club every sunday good old days

I was born on rydal rd my mother worked at woodseats palace i used to go and meet her from work & walk down woodseats rd at the bottom near the bridge was a pie and pea shop the lady had a oven in the front room best pie and peas in sheffield.We used to go in the smithywood club every sunday good old days

Hi Bryan, I used to have a friend on Rydal Road, his name was gerry pilkington, lived near to the walled off end. My Dad always went to the pie and pea shop youre right they were good dad and mom also used to get tripe and onions from there. Used to go to the woodseats picture palace on saturday mornings for the kids matinee, it was always full. Good memories of the smithywood club, had some good groups on there, John O'hara and the Playboys spring to mind. Life seemed simpler then!

Hi Bryan, I used to have a friend on Rydal Road, his name was gerry pilkington, lived near to the walled off end. My Dad always went to the pie and pea shop youre right they were good dad and mom also used to get tripe and onions from there. Used to go to the woodseats picture palace on saturday mornings for the kids matinee, it was always full. Good memories of the smithywood club, had some good groups on there, John O'hara and the Playboys spring to mind. Life seemed simpler then!

Hello again i remember gerry pilkington he lived accross the road from me i think he went to the same school as me and my brother ron our familly name is else i am brian we used to play on woodseats rd in the old field down by the river i think its been built on now.I new a girl called paulean johnson lived on woodseats rd also tony white my memory isnt as good as it used to be i also remember playing in the old train sheds on archer rd some other names come to mind sandra slack joun mullins pam jones i wonder if these names ring any bells with you what school did you go to we went to abbyedale?

Hello again i remember gerry pilkington he lived accross the road from me i think he went to the same school as me and my brother ron our familly name is else i am brian we used to play on woodseats rd in the old field down by the river i think its been built on now.I new a girl called paulean johnson lived on woodseats rd also tony white my memory isnt as good as it used to be i also remember playing in the old train sheds on archer rd some other names come to mind sandra slack joun mullins pam jones i wonder if these names ring any bells with you what school did you go to we went to abbyedale?

Hi Brian, I remember some of the names you mentioned, Pauline Johnson and Joan Mullins rings a bell. Don't remember Tony White though. We also used to play on the field near the river, seemed to be a lot of fields to play in then. I went to woodseats school.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived