Your Views on Filesharing..

'I want to listen to it before I buy it' is not an adequate moral justification. There are plenty of legal ways to sample music for free; Spotify, LastFM, Music Television, Radio, in store. As for other media such as video games these have been giving out free digital samples for many, many years - they’re known as demos. There are plenty of reviews online, screenshots, trailers. I don't believe for a second that the people who watch cammed versions of films will go out and watch it at the cinema if they liked it.

As I said before, it's convenience. The 'moral justifications' are simply neutralising techniques which are used to legitimise behaviour.

The film industry are to blame fancy releasing a film in the uk at the same time as the dvd is being released in the usa, i went to florida not long since the dvds are around £6 to £8, why are they £14 here, music, why is it around £4 for an album, why is it 85p for a music track here when there around 45p in europe? its because we pay for it without winging, make it the same prices and most of the downloading would stop anyway, but if you want to get round your isp with downloading sign up for usenext.com, around £7 for 25gb of download, no uploading and it goes at full download speed no matter what time of day thats around 6000mp3s thats a tenth of a penny each it works in binery 1s and os just like the net started in the 70s plus it doesnt use an IP address so no trace, but i wouldnt reccomend it to anyone cus downloading is illegal

The film industry are to blame fancy releasing a film in the uk at the same time as the dvd is being released in the usa, i went to florida not long since the dvds are around £6 to £8, why are they £14 here, music, why is it around £4 for an album, why is it 85p for a music track here when there around 45p in europe? its because we pay for it without winging, make it the same prices and most of the downloading would stop anyway, but if you want to get round your isp with downloading sign up for usenext.com, around £7 for 25gb of download, no uploading and it goes at full download speed no matter what time of day thats around 6000mp3s thats a tenth of a penny each it works in binery 1s and os just like the net started in the 70s plus it doesnt use an IP address so no trace, but i wouldnt reccomend it to anyone cus downloading is illegal

I get around the BT daily p2p throttle quite easily now....

torrent programs are slow all day but downloading via ftp is still full speed for some reason :hihi:

binery news groups im on about i get around 7mb down my up to 8mb line, but going back to earlier in the thread i know the music companies have to make money ,thats what there out to do, but why are they charging a lot less abroad than they do hear, stoch aitken and waterman were mentioned, maybe its me but you dont hear much about them nowadays, perhaps there still in the background, dont know, but i dare say that they have made that much money out of us joe public they dont have to work anymore, so that says to me that these record producers make that much money they dont have to work for long before there rich, so who is being ripped off us having to pay more than any other country so giving producers early retirement or will they drop their prices and make music and films cheaper and work for an extra 10 years doing it whos the fools US! joe public so make things fair and the downloading would not be needed

correct sheff uk thats why the government is trying to make it law that isps police our internet connections, if they fail downing street can withdraw there licences to provide an internet service, think i might move to china there soviet style ruling is a lot more easy going than ours

To put some balance to the debate around the poor artist/studio/publisher, what about for the poor consumer when they knowingly release poor product.

Back when the charts were more relevant, I was ripped off many times buying an album on strength of first one or two singles to find the rest was utter garbage. Or how about those one album wonders - least they DID do the right thing and not try a second.

Or the film you walk out from contemplating how you'll never get those 3 hours of your life back. How you fell for that TV ad or review that made it appealing. You realise that where the poster said "outrageously good film" quoted from a review, it was taken from "could have been an outrageously good film" :rant:

My argument is that the industry knows full well if they have a quality product or a dog, and when it comes to the dogs it seems they will go defcon-one on the marketing and hype games to take the money from our pockets rather than throw it on the trash heap. The existence of films so bad they go 'straight to DVD' is more fleecing of the consumer.

And again with computer games. Reminds me of the other trick where a piece is rushed onto the shelves before they send out any preview or review copies because they know it's the only hope to shift some before it gets panned.

The ripping off is by no means a one way street.

You can select which songs you want to buy off an album now and you can listen to entire albums before you buy them. You have such a wealth of information in front of you as a consumer to make a judgment about whether a film, a book, or a game will be good or not. All companies make a shoddy product now and again, but any sensible company knows that it has to satisfy it's core consumers if it is to retain their business.

If you do go and see a rubbish film then its true you're never getting that time or money back, but you can now make a decision not to see anymore of that writer's/director's/actor's films. As for games, you can always buy them second hand and if you don't like it just exchange them for minimal loss.

Archived