Sheffield Forgemasters

I used to work at River Don Castings, Sheffield Forgemasters. When I first started as an aprentice Moulder - it was called BSC River Don. I believe it was English Steel before that.

I am researching the men who worked for the company and fell in the great war. Can anybody tell me if it was called Vickers at the time of the great war - 1914-18. Also what was its role in the war - did they make shells etc. I am basically interested in anything to do with that period.

When my research is complete - I intend to put it on my website

http://www.stannington.webitsmart.co.uk

The results of my earlier research can also be found here

Regards

Robert.

I cannot tell the exact name of the company during the 1914-18 period but if you can borrow a copy of The History Of Vickersfrom the library, I think you will find all the details.

Ex River Don steelworker

Happy Days

Thanks Don. I didn't know they had a website - when I'd looked in the past - it was just a single contact page. It looks like the history page confirms they were Vickers Ltd at the time of the war.

Cheers

Robert.

I served my apprenticeship at brightside Lane and it was English Steel Corporation when I started.

If you look at the office buildings on the left hand side of Brightside Lane you can see the Vickers 'V' in the stonework on the buildings. There was also big marble steps up to the doorway. They had a sportsclub and fields on Shiregreen Lane there may have been something on what you seek there if the club is still open.

There was a list of all the fallen soldiers set in marble inside the front door of the main offices years ago.

After BSC took the company over, these tablets were taken down in a modernisation scheme and were stored in the basement of the offices.

Maybe they are still there?

Happy Hunting

The Imperial War Museum website has a section on the UK National Inventory of War Memorials - maybe they can help you.

http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00g00c

The UK National Inventory of War Memorials is an information-gathering project. It aims to create a database of information of all known war memorials in the UK, estimated at between 50,000 to 60,000.

The Inventory is not yet online - but for enquirers who are unable to visit the Museum, Inventory staff are able to answer enquiries via telephone, e-mail and post.

Fax: +44 (0)20 7207 9859

E-mail: memorials@iwm.org.uk

G

Archived