Sheffield Forgemasters

Originally posted by PopT

There was a list of all the fallen soldiers set in marble inside the front door of the main offices years ago.

After BSC took the company over, these tablets were taken down in a modernisation scheme and were stored in the basement of the offices.

Maybe they are still there?

Happy Hunting

There are 2 brass tableaux (*sp) on the wall inside Gate 1 by the 2 flags with all the names on.

They are adorned with wreaths regularly, esp on events such as VE, VJ & armistice day.

Actually, on the subject of remembering our fallen heroes :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

There are 2 brass tableaux (*sp) on the wall inside Gate 1 by the 2 flags with all the names on.

Thats where I got the list of names I'm researching for

Stannington Roll Of Honour

The plaques are where the old security office used to be.

On nights we used to creep up and drop maggots through the security guards keyhole. They were blissfully unaware (probably asleep). The maggots would by nature crawl and hide under furniture. A couple of weeks later the Security guards windows were full of big blue bottle flies. Hmmmm I wonder how they got there

happy days

• 3 years later...

If you look at the office buildings on the left hand side of Brightside Lane you can see the Vickers 'V' in the stonework on the buildings.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I wondered if anyone knew what "V S & M" stands for on the old frontage of the Forgemasters building on Brightside Lane?

There are some metal bosses above the old windows (Gate 1, fronting what is now a car park on the left hand side as you go towards Meadowhall), most of which have a plain "V" logo on them, some have "V S & M" on them.

The only thing I can think of is Vickers Steels and Metals. Any better ideas anyone? :confused:

Dont Know if any one is interested but E.S.C. in the late 50s Had 2 power stations on the river don site generating most of its electric consumption and steam for other proccesses ie the river don steam engine driving the plate mill on the south side. There were a number of gas producing plants feeding the treatment and heating furniss's dotted all over the site. River water was taken from the river don filtered and pumped up to reservoir on Wincobank Hill in order to give a constant head of water round the whole site,the water was used for treatment ie quenching. These pumps were situated at each of the power stations and at the end of brightside lane. The main Offices had an early form of air conditioning Incorporated durring its constructon a central suction machine for the cleaners to hoover up the offices was installed. The air ducts in the basement were of glazed brick to make washing down easy.

Archived