Royal family cost taxpayer 36m a year

Im no fan of the royal family, but i do like the history behind our monarch, its more intresting than havin a president....

must admit, it would be funny to see them working in mcdonalds though....:hihi: :hihi:

Originally posted by Lickszz

More conspiracy conjecture Abby? You tell me factually, how you know Diana was bumped off. Then you may become credible.....maybe. ;)

If this is the last post I ever make before I disappear, never to be seen again, will that be proof enough for you ;)

Originally posted by madowl

Im no fan of the royal family, but i do like the history behind our monarch, its more intresting than havin a president...

True enough.

Imagine how boring History lessons would be in one hundred years' time!

Originally posted by Abdul

If this is the last post I ever make before I disappear, never to be seen again, will that be proof enough for you ;)

I must say Abby, you are so paranoid that someone is out to get you, I bet you have a rear view mirror on your excerise bike. :D

I am a royalist and proud of it. I think our Royal Family work extremely hard for the money we pay. They attract tourists but a lot of their work is also aimed at 'selling' British products and encouraging investment in this country. The amount of work they do is rarely publicised, because in part, that is what they want.

The Royal Family not only do work to promote this country but also work tirelesly on behalf of all the charities they are involved with.

If you stayed in some of the royal palaces and saw the actual life they live you would realise they are quite frugal in their day to day living. Of course the Queen hosts lavish banquets when we have visiting representatives of other countries but would it be any less if we didn't have a monarchy? no, it would cost us much more.

Having a Royal Family is an honour IMHO that many other countries don't have and they envy us for it.

How much money is spent each year paying for the board of prisoners? Bet it's far more. So, why do people not complain about that rather than rant about the Royal Family? The Royal Family has made huge changes over the past few years, cutting the number of people receiving allowances and also being open about expenditure. They gave up the Royal Yaught Britannia as well as lots more things we don't even know about. Our current monarch, the Queen is acutely aware of expenditure and i would defy anyone to do what she does for less money.

Oh Hels! What twaddle - I'd have expeccted this from Viking, but not you :hihi:

Originally posted by Hels

I am a royalist and proud of it. I think our Royal Family work extremely hard for the money we pay. They attract tourists but a lot of their work is also aimed at 'selling' British products and encouraging investment in this country. The amount of work they do is rarely publicised, because in part, that is what they want.

The Royal Family not only do work to promote this country but also work tirelesly on behalf of all the charities they are involved with.

If you stayed in some of the royal palaces and saw the actual life they live you would realise they are quite frugal in their day to day living. Of course the Queen hosts lavish banquets when we have visiting representatives of other countries but would it be any less if we didn't have a monarchy? no, it would cost us much more.

Having a Royal Family is an honour IMHO that many other countries don't have and they envy us for it.

How much money is spent each year paying for the board of prisoners? Bet it's far more. So, why do people not complain about that rather than rant about the Royal Family? The Royal Family has made huge changes over the past few years, cutting the number of people receiving allowances and also being open about expenditure. They gave up the Royal Yaught Britannia as well as lots more things we don't even know about. Our current monarch, the Queen is acutely aware of expenditure and i would defy anyone to do what she does for less money.

ps tourists don't come to see the royals.

Buildings yes.

I'd do the Queen's job/ lifestyle for my current income (£22k)willingly.

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

ps tourists don't come to see the royals.

Buildings yes.

I'd do the Queen's job/ lifestyle for my current income (£22k)willingly.

Can't agree DK.

A long term friend of mine, having worked in the past at Buck House and later as part of the Sergeant at Arms team at the House of Commons met and talked with tourists from many nations. He tells me that the people he spoke to come to see the Royals as well as the rest of history good or bad.

While at Buck House he told me the first question they asked was "is she in" when it is pointed out you can tell if HM is in if the Royal Standard is flying she is, they were very disappointed when they found out she was not at home, and would wait for hours or return day after day to see is she or any of the other Royals turned up.

We saw how many came to the Queen Mothers funeral again they flew in from around the world, and from all corners across of the UK to pay their respects, to be part of what they considered to be a historical occasion.

Without doubt they loved their visits and stated that at home they had nothing to compare or match it.

• 6 years later...

Archived