Hypnotherapy for losing weight

Kiddo

The Derren Brown assassination programme had all the hypnosis done without the subjects awareness and he was definitely not the 'type' to murder someone. Steven Fry did not actually die but as far as the hypnotic 'killer' was aware he had nothing to do with his death.

regarding hypnotherapy for weight loss I advise and suggest to pretty much all clients that they: eat slower, reduce portion sizes, increase the quality of their food, stop when they are full, have a balance in their diet and an increased awareness of the messages their body is sending and how they are feeling about their weight, appearance and hunger levels.

I never 'recommend' people exercise but I do suggest that they might like to be more active. The reason for this is summarised in this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health that says that exercising to burn off calories and to lose weight is inefficient at best. A much better way to reduce your weight is to be more active (walk a bit more, take stairs instead of lift etc) and to put less food in in the first place.

regarding hypnotherapy for weight loss I advise and suggest to pretty much all clients that they: eat slower, reduce portion sizes, increase the quality of their food, stop when they are full, have a balance in their diet and an increased awareness of the messages their body is sending and how they are feeling about their weight, appearance and hunger levels.

I never 'recommend' people exercise but I do suggest that they might like to be more active. The reason for this is summarised in this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health that says that exercising to burn off calories and to lose weight is inefficient at best. A much better way to reduce your weight is to be more active (walk a bit more, take stairs instead of lift etc) and to put less food in in the first place.

Quoting a newspaper as evidence, a dangerous game to play! :hihi:

However, it’s in the Guardian, so I’m sure Dr Goldacre wouldn’t stand for any bad science in his paper. :D

I think the problem is pattern matching. People think weight loss they think “eating salad” and “running on a treadmill”. There is also the “used car sales man” problem. I.e. trying to make someone do something they do not really want too is likely to get them more resistant in the long run.

The fundamental law of physics still applies though. Too much energy, you put weight on. Creating an energy deficit is the only way to lose weight. The best way to do that is to be more physically active. The more physically active you are the easier it is the lose weight (but less easy for those who are already obese, sorry).

Unfortunately, you have people (and companies) out there not wanting people to lose weight and spouting crap that goes against the fundamental laws of the universe (eating chicken wont make you put weight on, eating carbs after 6pm is bad, never eat certain foods together etc).

So, eat better (everything in moderation), move more.

Simples.

The rest of it is up to the person. If they value their looks/health/weight more than they do watching Eastenders then they will change their habits.

Realising if I didn't do something about my weight would mean I wouldn't be around to see my grandkids grow is what made me do something.

I was one of those people that thought weight loss meant starving myself, if someone said to me 'diet' I immediatley wanted the things I shouldn't have Changing that with hypnotherapy has given me a healthier relationship with food, nothing is banned, and that has resulted in a massive weight loss. It hasn't been overnight, but the weight didn't go on overnight either.

So I am more mobile and able to exercise and enjoy it, having the confidence to don a cossie and go to aquafitand the gym just wouldn't have happened before, and if anyone had told me it would, would have been told they were barmy!!

Hypnotherapy helped me and very likely saved my life.

Realising if I didn't do something about my weight would mean I wouldn't be around to see my grandkids grow is what made me do something.

I was one of those people that thought weight loss meant starving myself, if someone said to me 'diet' I immediatley wanted the things I shouldn't have Changing that with hypnotherapy has given me a healthier relationship with food, nothing is banned, and that has resulted in a massive weight loss. It hasn't been overnight, but the weight didn't go on overnight either.

So I am more mobile and able to exercise and enjoy it, having the confidence to don a cossie and go to aquafitand the gym just wouldn't have happened before, and if anyone had told me it would, would have been told they were barmy!!

Hypnotherapy helped me and very likely saved my life.

Completely disagree with the final line.

Don’t do yourself a disservice. You wanted to achieve something and did it! Yes, you might have been helped along the way, but it was still down to you.

good work :)

I think our resident hypnotherapist on here makes a good point actually when he says that it's linked to emotions.

In many cases, people feel a bit down about themselves and eat for comfort - then they feel more down about themselves and eat some more. And so it goes on.

Not everyone has the will power to break that cycle so a 3rd party, be it a slimming club, or friend who is on the same diet, or a qualified practioner of medicine or hypnotherapy can be helpful.

I think though, the person should really try and identify for themselves, what is driving this behaviour? A bit of introspective, self-analysis, could set them on the right road. It calls for being brutally honest with oneself. Many obese people are in denial - that's a major problem.

What are you eating? Why are you eating? Paying attention to these 2 questions can help a lot to begin with.

I think our resident hypnotherapist on here makes a good point actually when he says that it's linked to emotions.

In many cases, people feel a bit down about themselves and eat for comfort - then they feel more down about themselves and eat some more. And so it goes on.

Not everyone has the will power to break that cycle so a 3rd party, be it a slimming club, or friend who is on the same diet, or a qualified practioner of medicine or hypnotherapy can be helpful.

I think though, the person should really try and identify for themselves, what is driving this behaviour? A bit of introspective, self-analysis, could set them on the right road. It calls for being brutally honest with oneself. Many obese people are in denial - that's a major problem.

What are you eating? Why are you eating? Paying attention to these 2 questions can help a lot to begin with.

I agree with all you've said here DerbyTup, and it's because of that brutal honesty I sought help from a hypnotherapist, I couldn't set myself on that right road, I found it to be very helpful to me.

My friend has had really good results but not just with hypnotherapy, he went to see someone for CBT and NLP too and he has changed why he was eating. He seems to be keeping going so he has deffo worked for him

That's great news! I have had CBT myself in the past and it felt a bit like a conscious version of hypnosis - a way to work thoughts or actions through in a different way to get to a different end result. NLP is something that I work into my hypnosis practice and is very much a part of helping people think differently so I know it can have a powerful impact.

It can be powerfully effective stuff!