Anybody else been offered 'The Saving Gateway' with Halifax??

Anyone else recieved a letter inviting them to open a Saving Gateway account?

The government are trailing it in 6 regions and south yorkshire is one of them.

You can save up to £25 a month for 16 months, and for every £2 you save the government will give you £1. so if you pay in the meximum for 16 months on the 18th month (the account matures) you get an extra £200 and are free to do with your £600 what you like.

the only downside is that other regions have it better, Manchester get £1 for every £1 they save and Cambridgeshire can save up to £125 a month!

its invite only though!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/savinggateway

I had this stuff through yesterday.

The best thing the Treasury could do for me right now is stop charging me GBP80 a week 'Employers National Insurance' as well as my 'Employee's National Insurance'. I work as a contractor through an umbrella company and so pay double NI for the privelege. I also earn more than 25k, thouhh the household income is under 50k.

If I want a savings account I'll go to the bank. I can see the idea behind it all but any money I might want to save is whipped off me by the Treasury anyway!!

I wish HMG would stop trying to mother us.

Joe

• 4 years later...

Archived