Best folk nights/sessions??

Italianna

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are looking for a good folk session to regularly go along to and hopefully one day do some playing, as he plays guitar and i play flute...

Can anyone suggest anywhere with a friendly atmosphere and good music?

I know it's out there!

I'm afraid I'm not current with the Folk scene, but Fagan's always used to be an excellent night. Could definitely be worth a trip as I know that until last year or so it was in the same hands and therefore very folky friendly.

Dog and Partridge (the one on Trippett Lane, not the other other one) was also highly spoken of though I was not a regular.

The other old hotspots I know are no longer running sadly. How things change.

Hope that helps.

Hiya Italianna!

There's a nice session developing at the York in Broomhill on Monday nights. It's not exclusively folk, anything goes really, but tends to be mostly folk-ish songs and tunes. Last week we had 4 fiddles, 1 flute, 4 guitars, 2 mandolins, 1 bodhran, 1 melodeon (though, I admit, it stayed in its case all night), a concertina and lots of singing. Ages from 17 (Hannah, flute) to 50 plus (old blokes with guitars). Obviously it varies from week to week depending on who shows up but there are usually one or more members of Jack's Rake (see below) there and it's always good informal fun. Generally kicks off around 9 ish and kicked out around half 12.

Other sessions available:

Thursdays at the Cobden View in Crookes. Varied stuff, mostly blokes with guitars & very noisy but you get a free drink or two from the landlord if you're a musician.

Thursdays at the Cherry Tree, Carter Knowle Road. Some nights are fantastic with lots of different instruments and styles, other nights only one bloke there with, of course, a guitar.

Mondays at the Red Deer in town. Never been to this one but I get the impression that it's popular & well attended and largely tunes based.

Fagan's has stuff on most nights. Different styles on different nights. Very high quality but sometimes, in my opinion, rather exclusive and unwelcoming.

Further afield, there's a great, mostly tunes, session at the Barrel in Bretton. Great pub, great scenery and great food & drink. Shame it's half an hour's drive away.

Archived