11/9/2001 - Where were you?

*Ryan*

I was conducting a traffic survey on the slip road of the M42 at junc 4. One of the drivers told me that terrorists were crashing planes into New York. As soon as I heard this I went to my car and switched the radio on to listen. I was working with two traffic police who came over and listened with me.

I remember ringing my son up who had just come home from school and he started to watch it on Sky News. The first tower had already collapsed when I called him and he was watching the pictures and didn't realize that there was only one tower standing! As I was talking to him, the second tower went and he was just relaying what he could see....it was terrifying.

I had to stay in Birmingham overnight and all I could think of was wanting to be home with my children.

Yes there was something strange about that day.!!!!! All day I felt funny , I was working outdoors and b I couldn't work , I went for a lay down on some grass. I decided to ring my partner who screamed down the phone that the twin towers were on fire. She then said the pentagons been hit! I rang my boss and said ''I'm going home'' he said ''why'' . ''This might be our last moments on earth'' I replied. He laughed and said '' if you go home don't turn up tomorrow '' I said '' fair enough''.

I wish I was that old woman going on about double A or triple A bateries! Lol

i worked in the tv department in debenhams and had all the tv's on so saw it all ,when the first tower had gone down just about the whole shop was crammed round the tv's and saw the 2nd tower go down, it was very eerie, everone one was silent and just stood watching the tv.

I was at work drawing up the plans for a school computer room extention in Hull. I was also working on a PFI funded project. Due to the real prospect of war breaking out PFI projects had funding put on hold indefinately. I lost my job. I went home at lunch time on that day of the attack and watched the news for six hours.The direction of my life and views changed because of 911. I know work as a joiner not a Architectural technician. Well paid white collar to dusty blue collar.

I was at work & my ex colleague told me & I looked at him with a floaty expression saying what are the twin towers? It was only until I got home & my family were watching the news the reality of it hit me.

Archived