11/9/2001 - Where were you?

*Ryan*

A sensible discussion without wacko conspiracy theories.

I was at work in London. We were sent home because there were all sorts of crazy rumours about a sniper at Canary Wharf.

I got back from lunch about 2ish and the madness unfolded on BBC news.

In Cash Converters looking for 2001 and 2010 on DVD, they turned the TV's over to it.

The CNN ticker popped up on my desk telling me about the first - since I'd already heard about the hijackings it wasn't a great stretch to figure out what was going on. All hell broke loose when the second one hit - we essentially locked the site down and sat tight until things got a little clearer.

I was at work in the community centre in Crooksmoor. The caretaker said that America had been attacked but I didn't believe him at first. I checked on the web and there was a headline on BBC news so I dashed home to watch the rest of the drama on TV.

I remember texting my friends to make sure they were watching. One friend who had heard the bare minimum couldn't understand what the fuss was about, she thought there had been a minor accident.

My overriding emotions were shock and disbelief.

I was on maternity leave and shopping in Muswell Hill, North London. I heard someone discussing air space having been shut down, on their mobile phone in a bank; I had no idea what they were talking about. Then I picked up various bits of information and whilst waiting for the bus (the bus stop was in front of a TV shop), I stared in disbelief as the (live, although unbeknown to me at the time) footage of the second plane hitting the WTC. The rest of the day was spent glued to the TV, horror stricken as the events unfolded, in between making calls as a family friend's son had planned on going up the WTC that morning, first thing. Thankfully, he was OK but his father spent a frantic day trying to get news of him.

It was also the day after my son's 3rd birthday, and his party was the weekend after. I had made a cake in the shape of a rocket, which everyone remarked resembled a skyscraper.:|

I was working at the Home Office as i was a work permit officer. One of our main companies was morgan stanley, their

Offices were in the towers.

A week later i received a personal gift from 2 morgan stanley workers thanking me for potentially saving their life.

A few days earlier i had stayed late at work to process

2 urgent temp out of country applications for 2 americans. They travelles to england on the 10th.

If i hadnt have voluntarily worked late that night they would have not been able to come over and would have been in the towers!!!!

The thank you letter and words from them will stay in my heart forever

Archived